Damaged almost new wheel .. is this fixable?

I have no idea how this happened. Don't recall any big impacts and tire doesn't show any damage. Maybe in transport in back of my car with my wife's bike on top (blankets in between etc.)? Can it be fixed? Tx.

WhatsAppImage2024-05-29at14_53_19.jpeg.bbb55fd6eb6189ea84a3dfb7df5c1d8a.jpeg

Sureley a warranty claim should work for this ?

Looks like a pothole or some impact 🤔 slight half-moon discoloration on top of the side-wall and small abrasions. Yes should be an easy fix but I don't think I would ever have the same confidence knowing my wheel was repaired. 

2 hours ago, Jbr said:

Sureley a warranty claim should work for this ?

That looks like impact. Highly doubt a warranty claim would work. 

Can be repaired, repair usually stronger than original, but a bit heavier (if competent repairer )

10 minutes ago, Christie said:

Can be repaired, repair usually stronger than original, but a bit heavier (if competent repairer )

A bit heavier would imply that more carbon is used in that area of the repair. I would think that the balance would be out affecting stability at speed. 

What brand of wheel? They may offer a "Crash Replacement" discount 

It can be repaired. 

My experience is that they can become stiffer at the repair and the rebuild tension is not great especially on a low spoke count wheel.  Also weigh up the cost of a new rim against the repair because you still have to factor in the rebuild cost.

Tx all. The wheel is Shimano Ultegra C36. Came on my bike. I have sent the photo to BMC to see if they can fix it. Otherwise hopefully I can get a replacement rim.

Also buying another wheelset I found here. Need a spare set of wheels anyway. 

The trip to France and Italy in a week isn't going well. My bike (with cracked wheel) and my wife's Orbea just stolen out of our garage. No idea how they managed to get it open.

7 hours ago, davidtinker said:

The trip to France and Italy in a week isn't going well. My bike (with cracked wheel) and my wife's Orbea just stolen out of our garage. No idea how they managed to get it open.

Sorry but this really sux. Plus side it solved the cracked wheel problem.  Financial and insurance allowing would it be an option to replace the bikes in France or Italy? Ride them and ship back as you had planned might get a good deal on a high-end bike without all the duties and local markups. 

Sorry to hear of your stolen bike, DavidTinker.

A while back, these was a massive spike in. MOTORBIKES stolen (being pushed away, IOW, from locked garages, etc; a GROUND ANCHOR really is the way to go, whereas the bicycle (or motorbike) is locked to the floor - securely - adding another layer/hurdle to trying to steal the bicycle -— 

—the perps want to get away as quickly as they can, a GOOD bike lock can frustrate them - sad to have to do this, but my mate (on the forum) had his bike stolen TWICE, same M.O., he did add some additional security, but it was not enough - does seem as if this is beco ing a lot more prevalent…

Tx. Ground anchor sounds like a plan for future.

30 minutes ago, Barry said:

Financial and insurance allowing would it be an option to replace the bikes in France or Italy?

I still have my old bike for the trip. Risk is that my wife is tiny (164cm, 50kg) so not so easy to find a bike and then is the setup ok etc.? Might have to do that if we can't find one here in time.

25 minutes ago, davidtinker said:

Tx. Ground anchor sounds like a plan for future.

I still have my old bike for the trip. Risk is that my wife is tiny (164cm, 50kg) so not so easy to find a bike and then is the setup ok etc.? Might have to do that if we can't find one here in time.

Your destination is a cycling mecca so I am sure they could have her setup and sorted in no time. If you were meeting with friends or family maybe they can get info on local bike shops and or look online see what stock is available. Take an old Raleigh Rc rolling chassis with you on the plane and bring back a New SL8 

Edited by Barry

best option is contact the shop you bought the bike from and see what the brand can do for you. some brands customers support are so good they might just give you a new rim for free and you just cover the labor charge to rebuild the new rim onto the existing hub. there might even be a crash replacement policy where you get like 50% off on a new wheel or rim.

Avoid the carbon repair option for a wheel. it make the wheel lob sided and you'll get a speed wobble at high speeds, also the wheel relies on the rim to be equal strength and stiffness through out the radius of the rim as the spokes pull the rim inwards under tension if you do a repair youll have unequal spoke tension in the wheel and will be breaking spokes in the long run. also the cost to do a repair you'll have to dismantle the wheel, get the repair done and then rebuild the wheel.

Edited by Jimmy 2.0