Race for Victory seeding

Zatek

At around the 60km mark I noticed my bike was making a chattering noise. I looked at my front brakes and saw nothing but the noise continued and got worse (I thought it was another bike but later when I was a little more isolated the noise continued so knew it was my bike). I had GOOD look and there stuck between my fork and the callipers was a decent sized pebble! It wasn't tight (hence the chattering) but I decided that it was time to stop before the thing jammed in there and I went flying! The mud must have carried it up and into my fork. I had to take out my wheel to get it out! Get out of jail for me though.

Just a question though for those that are more experienced! I was in a mostly CL group. The group leaders seemed intent on riding towards the right of the road, which meant those trying to slipstream out of that wind ended up RIGHT on and even over the middle of the road.

My question is, why did they do that? It just made the bunch ride further out and in harm's way. As far as I am concerned, if people want to slipstream me, be my guest (I didn't have the legs yesterday to lead for long.). I can only think they were trying to reduce the advantage that the bunch would get? But perhaps there is a more reasonable answer?

its called guttering

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh - found more about it:

http://www.thehubsa....__fromsearch__1

So from what I can see, the guys at the front of the bunch where basically wannabe TDF team cyclists finishing in just under 4 hours in positions 455 through 473. WOW! So WANNABE pros and actually are P*(&(SES! :cursing:

work harder and make sure you're on the front dishing out the pain next time :)

Ahhh - found more about it:

http://www.thehubsa....__fromsearch__1

So from what I can see, the guys at the front of the bunch where basically wannabe TDF team cyclists finishing in just under 4 hours in positions 455 through 473. WOW! So WANNABE pros and actually are P*(&(SES! :cursing:

it is called racing, and the hangers on are called wheel suckers.

Start a second eschelon directly behind the leader of the front eschelon. Riders will fill in quickly, or drop off.

EDIT: no need for swearing. You do not have a divine right to sitting in the bunch. Train, train and train some more. THEN work at the front!

Edited by RoboCyclist

work harder and make sure you're on the front dishing out the pain next time :)

I am happy to work at the front if I can get there and there were times yesterday when I did take the lead (not in that particular group as I had basically blown a gasket by then). The thing is though, they were literally endangering people's lives because the riders were strung out and riding in the oncoming lane. I can 100% understand if you are pushing for a place but I finished with that group in position 480 so nobody could argue that they were trying to win any prizes! So why get all "tactical" when you are basically just trying to finish in your own PERSONAL best time.

I am happy to work at the front if I can get there and there were times yesterday when I did take the lead (not in that particular group as I had basically blown a gasket by then). The thing is though, they were literally endangering people's lives because the riders were strung out and riding in the oncoming lane. I can 100% understand if you are pushing for a place but I finished with that group in position 480 so nobody could argue that they were trying to win any prizes! So why get all "tactical" when you are basically just trying to finish in your own PERSONAL best time.

how will you ever get better if you dont try every chance you get

it is called racing, and the hangers on are called wheel suckers.

Start a second eschelon directly behind the leader of the front eschelon. Riders will fill in quickly, or drop off.

EDIT: no need for swearing. You do not have a divine right to sitting in the bunch. Train, train and train some more. THEN work at the front!

See my comment above. Don't think I have any divine rights at all. My point is, when you are in CL:

Ride hard - absolutely.

Give 110% - for sure.

Use tactics that are dangerous - not cool.

As for swearing...dog gone it. I am sorry to have offended.

Edited by Scooterza

Nobody likes wheel suckers.

Its not your personal best if you wheel suck, almost like the guys I saw sitting behind a panel van doing motor pacing. It look way more easier but it is not my best but the car or other cyclist best time combined

Edited by Zatek

how will you ever get better if you dont try every chance you get

Better? At what? I don't follow what long term benefit guttering will give you. When you are in AL or one of the elite groups - sure. But CL??!

Guys, this is my argument to people who moan about wheel suckers. Firstly, my view is, I am VERY happy to do my part. But I will ride behind someone and when they are tired, THEY must move over and move to the back. I will then take the lead and do my part and I will give it my all until I am feeling the impact and I will then drop off. If a guy decides to ride at the front for 30km, that's his decision.

Am I mistaken? Must I push my way to the front so I can take a turn? Surely not?

It is your own choice to move across the line to gain advantage in the cross winds. Treat the white line like the gutter on the left hand side.

If you are trying for your own PERSONAL time, you should not whee suck at all! :devil:

Treat bunches, cross winds, pot holes, water, mud, whatever the same way a golfer will treat a bunker or tree in a game of golf. Part of the landscape, and to be 'played' around. Not as a source to advance yourself.

Edited by RoboCyclist

Better? At what? I don't follow what long term benefit guttering will give you. When you are in AL or one of the elite groups - sure. But CL??!

so just because you're not in a front group you shouldnt really race properly? I think that no matter where you're seeded, race as if you're the front bunch

@Scooterza

I agree with you. The guys will moan if you don't take turns or they will attack and you will drop off. If the guy wants to pull and don't want any help it is his problem.

Saw some very dangerous guttering in some vets classes where oncoming traffic had to pull off the road.

so just because you're not in a front group you shouldnt really race properly? I think that no matter where you're seeded, race as if you're the front bunch

Fandacious - read what I said.

Racing properly surely doesn't extend to endangering the lives of other cyclists and seriously pissing off motorists with crazy riding?