New MTB Advice

King Kwagga

Hi All

I am new to this forum and new to "serious" MTBing (new/serious meaning that I am actually going to take my training/events seriously).

I am in the process of buying a new MTB and need some advice. I have looked at most brands but decided to select one of the following solely because of price and reviews/opinions I have read on this site.

* Merida Big Nine TFS 900 2013 (R11 200)

* Merida Big Nine TFS XT-Edition 2013 (R14 000)

I am aware of the specs diff on each bike but need an opinion "in the long run" and what I get for the price vs later upgrades.

Thanks!

King Kwagga

Price vs later upgrades is fairly simple to answer.

In my experience what you get as a complete bike is always a lot cheaper than trying to upgrade later. For e.g if I took the price of my fork, components etc it comes to much more than what I paid for the complete bike.

Thanks Richard, so what you basically saying is that I should rather go for the XT at only R2800 more because its better equiped off the shelf? Its equiped with XTs all round and comes with a better fork (fox if I remember correctly).

Thanks,

And fox forks are super. If budget allows. Go for the TFS XT-Edition 2013...what wheelsets do they have?

Rim

Big Nine Pro D

Freewheel

Shimano CS-HG62-10 11-36

Tire

Maxxis Crossmark 29er 2.1 fold

Brake

Shimano M505 180/180 mm

Edited by King Kwagga

Thanks Richard, so what you basically saying is that I should rather go for the XT at only R2800 more because its better equiped off the shelf? Its equiped with XTs all round and comes with a better fork (fox if I remember correctly).

Thanks,

Definitely!

The improvements will cost you well over R2 800 later

Definitely go with the higher spec from the start it will cost a small fortune to upgrade to that level of kit later. You will then be able to start saving for the tubeless .