FynbosMan

sluiper

So, seeing as there's no one who can plan a triathlon in Cape Town, perhaps we should just make our own one?

I really want to do a triathlon, but I don't feel like spending loads of cash getting to some far off place when I can just do it in my own backyard, so to speak. I also don't feel the need to have some huge sponsored thing just to go do a swim/bike/run.

Please check out this link before commenting to get an idea what I'm talking about: http://kancman.wordpress.com/

The KancMan seems like an awesome idea and I can't see why we couldn't do it in Cape Town?

I'm thinking a 2.4km swim, followed by a 100km bike and then a 17km run, but I'm open to suggestions. Those are just the numbers that came up when I was plotting a likely course.

My proposal for the courses:

Obviously this won't be a sanctioned/sponsored/supported event, just some people who want to swim/bike/run for a day in Cape Town. There won't be any road closures, aid stations or a medical team (unless you organise it yourself). Also, no one will shout your name as you finish and the chances are there will be no spectators to cheer you over the line (as there probably won't be any line or, for that matter, spectators).

You also won't get a medal, but you're welcome to bring one with from a previous race and pretend you got it for finishing the course.

There won't be any T1/T2 rubbish, you can just use your car to get changed and store your bike. The bike and run course both go past some shops where you can stop and buy some Energade and bananas, should you run out or feel the need.

Maybe we can organise a car guard for the day to look after the cars and bikes parked at Silvermine, but that's about as much organising as I feel capable of.

Afterwards we can have a beer and go home, maybe post a few photos on TheHub.

My idea is to do this on the 13th of October, starting around 7 o'clock. I chose this date because it's less than a month away, I like the number 13 and it's on a Saturday.

I might set up a site or something, depending on the response. If it comes to that, I'll probably just copy most of the stuff off the KancMan site and change the relevant bits.

Feel free to flame away/comment/agree/disagree/do nothing/read another thread/make suggestions/join in.

Edited by sluiper

Rather just enter the slanghoek tri in Rawsonville, close to home, not too expensive and someone else organises it, its on 17 Oct

this sounds like my kind of race. Should we bring our own beer?

Yes. And a cooler box with some ice in to keep them cold for the end.

Heard at the KKNK that the capies have censored version of " Jou ma se P***." It is now "Jou ma se fynbos..."

Just saying.... :ph34r:

Rather just enter the slanghoek tri in Rawsonville, close to home, not too expensive and someone else organises it, its on 17 Oct

I'm doing the Slanghoek race, even though I feel ±R400 entry fee (excluding petrol to get there) is a lot of money for a small triathlon. I realise that putting on any event costs money, but I don't see why it has to be outrageous.

In my mind the half and full IronMan events are very expensive. R2000/R4000 for an event is a lot of money, and that's before you even start factoring in travel and accommodation costs.

The FynbosMan will cost whatever you want it to cost: A sixpack costs about R50 these days, Energade concentrate about R30 and a few bananas about R10. If you're really on a budget you can bring returnable quarts (Castle Milk Stout) to cut costs even further.

Edited by sluiper

OK, I've added an event registration thingamijig by shamelessly ripping off the the idea, text and content from KancMan. If you feel like it, you can register here: http://fynbosman.eventbrite.com/

Registration isn't needed or compulsory, but it would be nice to have an idea of how many people are going to pitch up or are thinking about going.

I've also changed the run course, mainly because I like Boyes Drive and think they should have kept it for the Argus. The run is now 18km and goes over Boyes Drive: http://bikeroutetoas...x?course=463576. To be honest, I don't think it matters what happens in the middle on a course that begins and ends with Ou Kaapse Weg.

And... I've added a site: http://fynbosman.wordpress.com/ and also registered it as an event on this site.

Edited by sluiper

For what its worth: I think it is a great idea. I live in Noordhoek and train around parts of your suggested course, and I don't think you'll get a more spectacular race.

Unfortunately I'm still a beginner, and what you suggest here is a biggie. I suspect even experienced tri- athletes will find it quite challenging as your course is pretty demanding (according to my layman's view offcourse). I'll definitely keep an eye on it though, and would like to participate in the following one..

• 4 weeks later...

I take it this didn't happen?

only saw it now, but that run route is pretty crap. would much rather make it an offroad run in silvermine north/south.

i'd be keen.

I take it this didn't happen?

only saw it now, but that run route is pretty crap. would much rather make it an offroad run in silvermine north/south.

i'd be keen.

Really? I thought the run course was pretty cool, but that's just me.

Yes, didn't happen this year. I've actually started approaching sponsors (mostly people involved in the brewing of beer), so I'll try again next year/later in the season if I manage to get someone on board.

Really? I thought the run course was pretty cool, but that's just me.

suppose if you like cars whizzing past then it's perfect.

Yes, didn't happen this year. I've actually started approaching sponsors (mostly people involved in the brewing of beer), so I'll try again next year/later in the season if I manage to get someone on board.

what, sponsors?? just keep it under tmnp radar, as events need to go through a process. just do it. i'm keen. would just need a few weeks notice

suppose if you like cars whizzing past then it's perfect.

:), point taken.

what, sponsors?? just keep it under tmnp radar, as events need to go through a process. just do it. i'm keen. would just need a few weeks notice

Small sponsors, nothing hectic, just enough to be able to still keep it free, but be able to offer some swag and beer for free.

Will keep you posted. I think if we can get 10-15 or so people together it would be a fun day.