Replacing front suspension

lerouc

Just my 10c worth - I started as a Roadie some 23 years ago, now mainly MTB. The size of a bicycle frame (road or MTB) has more to do with the inside leg measurement, and less to do with your height. I'm 1.82m tall but inner leg measures 92cm.

My advice is get sized properly by the 'old' guy in the LBS i.e. not the youngster. Let them measure your inside leg, and let that be the basis of the frame size.

You may still be a 'Large' frame though - depending on the manufacturer this can vary anywhere from 19 inches to 21 inches. So by changing bike brands the frame (although a Large) may differ quite a lot.

Cheers,

Agree 100% with the fitting. Also try relax your hands, shoulders and neck when riding. Try softer or shaped grips (the Spez ones work well for me) and better gloves, maybe long fingered gloves (Spec. gloves helped a friend of mine). Last thing to fiddle with is the shock.

Good luck with the fitting!

But do consider upgrading to an air fork. It makes a world of difference to your ride experience. it needn't break the bank. Suntour do some decent-ish budget air forks.

Good luck with the fitting!

But do consider upgrading to an air fork. It makes a world of difference to your ride experience. it needn't break the bank. Suntour do some decent-ish budget air forks.

I went from a Suntour coil shock to a Suntour Mag32 (LBS free upgrade) to a Suntour Epicon (Paid around R2200 for this but you should be able to get them a lot cheaper now) and it was much better, my new bike has a RS Reba and thats chalk and cheese! BUT one thing I have notice on my new bike with straight bars compared to my old GT with the riser bars is that I no longer have a sore wrist and numb hands! It feels like I no longer 'lean' on my wrists now.

I went from a Suntour coil shock to a Suntour Mag32 (LBS free upgrade) to a Suntour Epicon (Paid around R2200 for this but you should be able to get them a lot cheaper now) and it was much better, my new bike has a RS Reba and thats chalk and cheese! BUT one thing I have notice on my new bike with straight bars compared to my old GT with the riser bars is that I no longer have a sore wrist and numb hands! It feels like I no longer 'lean' on my wrists now.

That will be awesome if i can get rid of that because its killing me on downhills!