29'er... why super wide bars?

Azonic

Wider bars are not for leverage, it is to slow the steering down. If you require more leverage on your handlebar to handle your bike, rather go for a skills course.

physics would dictate though that the wider the bars the more leverage you will get.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

specially designed for 29ers .... the 1m wide Syncros Bar!

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/a6df4573-2342-4b5f-837a-5bc134c2bce1img-0220.jpg

Hey Nige,

Sure no one have ever said this to you before but that is that`s the biggest one I have ever seen!

physics would dictate though that the wider the bars the more leverage you will get.

yup! Torque = Force x Distance...

But I think what Mr Fantana is trying to say is that one doesn't need leverage (or large amounts of force) to turn a set of handlebars. It's not like undoing an overtightened M24 nut on a truck wheel.

Yes, one does have more leverage with wider bars, but the main reason for the width is to slow steering down and therefore increase control

Edited by patches

I have found this to help explain:

gallery_26547_1099_13459.jpg

That does not make sense at all, it points towards a circle? See how trials guys run there 20" tires. Its more the tubeless that allows lower pressures than the size of your wheel.

I'd rather say 29 guys can run it harder because the bigger wheel has more flex--> more absorption.

Bliksem, if your bars are round like that, you gonna have groot k@k!

Nooit hey.

If a wheel (be it 26'er, 650b or 29'er) were to run the same width rim and dia. tyre then they should all be able to run to the same "lowest" PSI possible.

I do not believe the wheel circumference would necessarily dictate that you can run a lower pressure because your wheels are bigger?

Nooit hey.

If a wheel (be it 26'er, 650b or 29'er) were to run the same width rim and dia. tyre then they should all be able to run to the same "lowest" PSI possible.

I do not believe the wheel circumference would necessarily dictate that you can run a lower pressure because your wheels are bigger?

Yo Hairy,

it's basically the volume of the tire that makes the difference. Higher volume tires can run lower PSI levels than lower volume tires, due to the way that the air moves around.

So yes, given the same width and profile of tires across the different areas, as wheel size increases, optimal PSI decreases.

The effect is marginal though.

I thought this thread was about bars. Next thing circle schematics with bumps and PSI figures start appearing. I could handle a couple of straight line handle bar schematics. I'm out.

Yo Hairy,

it's basically the volume of the tire that makes the difference. Higher volume tires can run lower PSI levels than lower volume tires, due to the way that the air moves around.

So yes, given the same width and profile of tires across the different areas, as wheel size increases, optimal PSI decreases.

The effect is marginal though.

That's what I thought I said

So what pressure you think I should pump my handlebars for the best bump absortion?

You pump with your arms and legs through the trail dips and rises to get nice flow and speed :whistling:

So what pressure you think I should pump my handlebars for the best bump absortion?

Hahaha!

Seriously though, it depends on how snugly the little caps fit into the ends of your bars. That's where the circle schematic thingy comes in, I think.