Giro d'Italia 2013

tombeej

"Seven mountain finishes balanced by 88km of time trials"

http://www.cyclingne...veiled-in-milan

There's been talk/suggestions that Wiggo has a look at going for wins in the other 2 grand tours besides TDF - something only 5 others have ever achieved before - which would place him among a very small list of legends.

Might be that this course has been set up to attract a proper attempt by him?

What are the odds that he goes after Giro and Vuelta and leaves out TDF next year?

Edited by tombeej

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched the launch live today - seems like they put in a decent TT to try and tempt The Wig. Puts Purito in a spot though. Looks like El Berto is in, and Ryder will be riding to defend.

Bring it on!

http://cdn2.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2012/09/28/1/g2013_plan_generale_600.jpg

Stages of the 2013 Giro d’Italia

May 4, Stage 1 — Naples to Naples, 156km

May 5, Stage 2 — Iscia to Forio, 17.4km (team time trial)

May 6, Stage 3 — Sorrente to Marina di Ascea, 212km

May 7, Stage 4 — Policastro to Serra San Bruno, 244km

May 8, Stage 5 — Cosenza to Matera, 199km

May 9, Stage 6 — Mola di Bari to Margherita di Savoia, 154km

May 10, Stage 7 — San Salvio to Pescara, 162km

May 11, Stage 8 — Gabbicce Mare to Saltara, 55.5km (time trial)

May 12, Stage 9 — San Sepolcro to Florence, 181km

May 13, rest day

May 14, Stage 10 — Cordenons to Altopiano del Montasio, 167km

May 15, Stage 11 — Tarvisio to Vajont, 184km

May 16, Stage 12 — Longarone to Treviso, 127km

May 17, Stage 13 — Busseto to Cherasco, 242km

May 18, Stage 14 — Cervere to Bardonecchia, 156km

May 19, Stage 15 — Cesana Torinese to Col du Galibier (France), 150km

May 20, rest day

May 21, Stage 16 — Valloire (France) to Ivrea, 237km

May 22, Stage 17 — Caravaggio to Vicenza, 203km

May 23, Stage 18 — Mori to Polsa, 19.4km (uphill time trial)

May 24, Stage 19 — Ponte di Legno to Val Martello/Martelltal, 138km

May 25, Stage 20 — Silandro to Tre Cime di Lavaredo, 202km

May 26, Stage 21 — Riese Pie X to Brescia, 199km

http://cdn4.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2012/09/30/2/bettiniphoto_0123289_1_full_600.jpg

Edited by kosmonooit

Taylor Phinney is really tall .....

Maybe Sky will split the duties between Froome and Brad next year in terms of grand tours, with Froome more the mountains man...?

Seems to be quite a bit about the TDF being a very mountainous one next year, with a double climb of Alpe d'Huez included.

So Sky could think along the lines of Froome for the Tour and Wiggo for the others. Then again, the mileage the team sponsors would get from a potential defense of the tital by a Brit might outweigh any other considerations.

And a really spikey Tour might bring Purito back for a second attempt, although there'd need to be a lot more really steep finishes for him to be a real contender, even by his own admission.

Seems to be quite a bit about the TDF being a very mountainous one next year, with a double climb of Alpe d'Huez included.

So Sky could think along the lines of Froome for the Tour and Wiggo for the others. Then again, the mileage the team sponsors would get from a potential defense of the tital by a Brit might outweigh any other considerations.

And a really spikey Tour might bring Purito back for a second attempt, although there'd need to be a lot more really steep finishes for him to be a real contender, even by his own admission.

Yeah, there are a number of commentators saying Wiggo should try add his name to the list of those who won all the Grand Tours, rather than try defend his TdF title. I can't see it happening though. The Tour is still the big prize. You reckon he could be convinced to do it?

And what about Contador, after his display in the Vuelta? Hope he carries some form over

And what about Contador, after his display in the Vuelta? Hope he carries some form over

Never to be discounted, especially after having won all three in the shortest time, but I think he'll be itching to get back on the TdF podium.

Here's a cool profile of the total Tour...

http://www.gazzetta.it/static_images/ciclismo/giroditalia/2013/zoom/G2013_alt_generale.jpg

Watched the launch live today - seems like they put in a decent TT to try and tempt The Wig. Puts Purito in a spot though. Looks like El Berto is in, and Ryder will be riding to defend.

Bring it on!

Yeah, one ITT stages is like 55 km or something.

Giro in May.

Le Tour in July.

Wonder whethe Wiggo will go for it.

'Berto has not ruled out racing the Giro either.

Still very early, but I dont think he is competition to the really good Spanish climbers like Rodriguez and 'Berto or even Valverde if he brings his 2012 form into the Giro, he may gain a minute or so on the two regular TT's but the climbing TT will suit Rodriguez and 'Berto and I am not sure he can compete against them in the big mountain stages - the 2012 TDF was by all counts not a very mountainous route and suited Wiggins, but the Giro is tough,.....soooper Tough, I think it will be great if he decides to try, it may show us different, but my feeling is he wont do it, its not really his type of course and he wont go if he feels he wont be competitive, too much to lose by doing that.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

Taylor Phinney is really tall .....

Maybe Sky will split the duties between Froome and Brad next year in terms of grand tours, with Froome more the mountains man...?

If they do that, they also have to give each of them a decent team.

Their TdF squad was rediculously strong compared to the Vuelta squad they sent to look after Froome.