Breaking Spokes

XXL

I have been riding my GT Avalanche MTB for about a year. In the last three months, I have broken and replaced 3 spokes. They seem to be breaking at the bend where it is joined to the hub.

I am a large person at 1.92 m and 122kg. I thought that this might be the problem, but why are they only breaking now? Should I get new wheels or keep re-spoking (if thats the correct term)?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I am a large person at 1.92 m and 122kg. I thought that this might be the problem, but why are they only breaking now? Should I get new wheels or keep re-spoking (if thats the correct term)?

Speak to Johan Bornman (www.yellowsaddle.co.za) to build the wheel properly.

Aside from catastrophic events, spokes break due to metal fatigue. This is why it takes a while for them to break. You may have to replace all of your spokes now as the rest could also be reaching their fatigue life.

You probably need to rebuild your wheels or get some custom ones made up, there so many factors give the hubbers more info, type of spokes, rims, hub type

A guy your size is definitely gonna need a custom set of wheels, done by a reputable wheel builder, unfortunately thats gonna cost more than your bike

I have been riding my GT Avalanche MTB for about a year. In the last three months, I have broken and replaced 3 spokes. They seem to be breaking at the bend where it is joined to the hub.

PM sent

I broke a couple on my GT's rear wheel. Had them replaced but then the wheel did not really stay true. Had the whole lot replaced (around R400 for spokes and fitting) and had no problems after that (till the hub fell apart!). They managed many thousands of K's before I had any spokes break though. Are they on the rear wheel on the drive side?

Thanks all, for the input. Looks like this is going to cost some money. I will look into these options.

@Mojoman - I honestly cant tell you which side. I will check this in future. What is the relevance, as I am not technically inclined? I would be interested to know.

@ Scotty - They are the OEM rims that come with the GT, but I dont know the brand.

Thanks all, for the input. Looks like this is going to cost some money. I will look into these options.

@Mojoman - I honestly cant tell you which side. I will check this in future. What is the relevance, as I am not technically inclined? I would be interested to know.

@ Scotty - They are the OEM rims that come with the GT, but I dont know the brand.

Mine were on the drive side, I had got the chain off the large sprocket at the back into the spokes a few times and assumed that this had caused some stress/damage to the spokes. Wondered if it was the same with your spokes.

Have you chatted to Riaan the owner at Bikescene in Selcourt. He used to work at TDF and when there he sorted my wheels out for me.

Johan B or 4barlinkage will be able to help as it sounds like you need a custom wheelset. You could even keep the costs down a bit if you specify bulletproof but with little regard to weight.

Mine were on the drive side, I had got the chain off the large sprocket at the back into the spokes a few times and assumed that this had caused some stress/damage to the spokes. Wondered if it was the same with your spokes.

Damage caused by shifting into the spokes would nick the spoke and create a potential place for a fatigue crack to grow. If the mis-shift caused the breakage, you would see the spokes failing at the point where the RD hit them.

Right side spokes may be more likely to fail since in almost all hubs they transfer most of the drive forces and so experience a higher stress state. In addition, the right flange is closer to the centreline to accommodate the cassette. This means that the right side spokes must have a higher tension than left side spokes to get the correct dishing.

Minion, what you say makes sense. I havent had the misfortune of the chain falling off the large sprocket, as mentioned by Mojoman. Maybe I spend too much time on the smaller ones (read "Granny Gears" :whistling: ) Must say, the bike has been good at keeping the chain on the sprockets.

Scotty, I havent been to Bike Scene with this issue.