Installing a Semi-Integrated headset

Frans_MH

Ha! ... for the first time I have an opportunity to differ in opinion with JB and Patches... whooop hoooo

My comment was based on my thinking that most "new" frames, especially the carbon ones are often advertised as "semi-integrated", because they have a head-tube-race built into the head tube.. as opposed to a "fully integrated" one where the bearing sit directly in a "machined" head-tube....

A good example of this "semi-integrated" design is as per my LOOK MTB you help me built a couple months back JB? the bearing just push into the frame onto an integrated race... I've built 2 carbon road bikes during the last 6 weeks where this was exactly the case, the Headset is advertised as "semi-integrated" but really it's FULLY integrated...

So, I'm still betting that the OP's bike will not require a press-fit installation other than for a couple of fingers...

hahaha V!

ok OP... let us have it... what frame are you wanting to install this headset into?

Edited by patches

haha! listen to MissionS, he knows what he's doing! His garage is kitted! heck, he even machined a custom washer for my Hope rear hub once, wich withstood 2 weeks of DH-ing in the alps :thumbup:

You wore down that washer? :eek:

Or did you just lose it again?

You wore down that washer? :eek:

Or did you just lose it again?

hahaha! no washer is still doing fine! I did buy the proper Hope one (for a whole 40 ZARs), but I was too lazy to put it in before France, so I just rode with the one you machined for me! The rest of the hub will probably give out before the washer does!

A good example of this "semi-integrated" design is as per my LOOK MTB you help me built a couple months back JB? the bearing just push into the frame onto an integrated race... I've built 2 carbon road bikes during the last 6 weeks where this was exactly the case, the Headset is advertised as "semi-integrated" but really it's FULLY integrated...

But don't you then think this is rather a case of mis information by the manufacturer?

Also did you then have to by a semi-integrated headset only to bin the cups and only use the race's and bearings?

But don't you then think this is rather a case of mis information by the manufacturer?

Also did you then have to by a semi-integrated headset only to bin the cups and only use the race's and bearings?

Hhahahaha, yes... I have experienced this, sounds like you also have.

It's like JB said, anyone with a CAD system can "design a standard", in this case I think it's however more the terminology standard that comes into question?

Edited by TheV

This is why I love the Hub. You get solid advice, physical help and some humor in between.

The frame is a Java espresso, the one that Kiwi sells, but i bought it from someone else who barely used it. The headset to go in it is a Ness headset, it's probably a cheapy.

@ MissionS I will deffinitely PM you when I get the frame, thanks!

and thanks to all the other guys for the advice so far.