CT route to Milnerton in the afternoon

Steffi

Righto, so I'm a 25y/o female and cycle alone from work in Greenpoint to Milnerton using the cycle route, I've heard its unsafe but I dont know of anyone who could accompany me for the safety reasons and the N1 is outta the question for me. My partner and I cycle to work together but going back is a problem as I havent seen any other cyclists riding on that route at the time I leave. I feel uneasy going back that way on my own as it is very quiet and very easy for people to get mugged along that way if you're on your own, especially being female. Is there anyone who would be willing to accompany me, I am a beginner and have been cycling for about 5 weeks now, training gradually for the argus which I certainly hope to complete I might add lol

Please, if there is somebody out there who would be patient enough to cycle back with me that would be awesome and I would feel alot safer riding with another person or group

I finish work at 16:30 Mondays to Thursday (can meet up in Town at roughly 16:45) and finish at 15:30 on a Friday (can meet in Town at roughly 15:45).

Thanks, hope to see some responses soon

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Stefni

We unfortunately leave town about an hour later than you.

Does your partner ride a dark green Giant by any chance?

Maybe wait near the start of the path (not under the bridge!) and grab another cyclist as he comes along? Or be part of the cool coffee shop crowd and wait for Hairy et al. (Beware, his legs may be intimidating, especially if you're new to cycling.)

Maybe wait near the start of the path (not under the bridge!) and grab another cyclist as he comes along? Or be part of the cool coffee shop crowd and wait for Hairy et al. (Beware, his legs may be intimidating, especially if you're new to cycling.)

They are not that hairy

Hi Stefni

We unfortunately leave town about an hour later than you.

Does your partner ride a dark green Giant by any chance?

lol ok, ill keep that in mind :D thanks very much!! HAHA so are you referring to "Hairy" legs or "Hairy's" legs being muscular LMAO

I definitely got alot of training to do and still gearing myself up with the right cycling gear n all, stuffs not cheap! getting there slowly..

Who skiems the N1 is safer? People drive like idiots but its actually making mor sense to go that way if I'm on my own as apposed to being potentially mugged and or worse :'( not cool hey

Hi steffi

get in touch with Thinkbeeg, he is a member here also, he works in the CBD and also stays out in Blouberg. so you might be able to follow him.

G

Righto, so I'm a 25y/o female and cycle alone from work in Greenpoint to Milnerton using the cycle route, I've heard its unsafe but I dont know of anyone who could accompany me for the safety reasons and the N1 is outta the question for me. My partner and I cycle to work together but going back is a problem as I havent seen any other cyclists riding on that route at the time I leave. I feel uneasy going back that way on my own as it is very quiet and very easy for people to get mugged along that way if you're on your own, especially being female. Is there anyone who would be willing to accompany me, I am a beginner and have been cycling for about 5 weeks now, training gradually for the argus which I certainly hope to complete I might add lol

Please, if there is somebody out there who would be patient enough to cycle back with me that would be awesome and I would feel alot safer riding with another person or group

I finish work at 16:30 Mondays to Thursday (can meet up in Town at roughly 16:45) and finish at 15:30 on a Friday (can meet in Town at roughly 15:45).

Thanks, hope to see some responses soon

Hi steffi

get in touch with Thinkbeeg, he is a member here also, he works in the CBD and also stays out in Blouberg. so you might be able to follow him.

G

Cool beans!! thanx so much :)

There are so many cyclists who do this route. Best option has already been suggested. Wait at the start for the next chap and flag him down, asking him to ride with you. I commuted between town and West Beach for 8 years plus, before cycle lanes and didn't have an issue on the N1. There's a big enough shoulder to get you to Paarden Eiland with the only concern being the Woodstock onramp, but even that is not much of a problem. enjoy the training towards Argus!

True story.

So I left town later this evening and on the way out I catch up to a lady on the cycle lane, cycling by herself.

I then slow down and ask her how far she is going and on hearing she is going all the way along the route I propose that I cycle with her as there are one our two hot spots along way.

We chat, we laugh, we curse the South Easter. Turns out the lady is your boy friends mom.

So chat to her so that you know where tge one hot spot is, as it is at the bottom if the bridge adjacent to the N1 and you can/should get lots of speed coming down there, which in turn will make you a very unfavourable target.

Now in recent weeks the metro cops have increased their patrols on the lane. A good sign I would say!

H

What about cycling through the docks? Are we still allowed to cycle through there. I always felt a lot safer than I do on the cycle track.

There are so many cyclists who do this route. Best option has already been suggested. Wait at the start for the next chap and flag him down, asking him to ride with you. I commuted between town and West Beach for 8 years plus, before cycle lanes and didn't have an issue on the N1. There's a big enough shoulder to get you to Paarden Eiland with the only concern being the Woodstock onramp, but even that is not much of a problem. enjoy the training towards Argus!

Yeah on my way home yesterday I didnt see a single cyclist insight but was searching round to see if I could spot any1, didnt have any luck lol I think the woodstock turnoff is quite dangerous but Im quite aware of that and would just be extra cautious over there. I think I'll take the n1 in the meantime, I just think that people in their cars get so uptight with us sometimes it puts me off but hey, tough cookies :D

Edited by Steffi

What about cycling through the docks? Are we still allowed to cycle through there. I always felt a lot safer than I do on the cycle track.

That's quite a bumpy ride isn't it?

Didn't think of that route, not sure cyclist are allowed through there..?

True story.

So I left town later this evening and on the way out I catch up to a lady on the cycle lane, cycling by herself.

I then slow down and ask her how far she is going and on hearing she is going all the way along the route I propose that I cycle with her as there are one our two hot spots along way.

We chat, we laugh, we curse the South Easter. Turns out the lady is your boy friends mom.

So chat to her so that you know where tge one hot spot is, as it is at the bottom if the bridge adjacent to the N1 and you can/should get lots of speed coming down there, which in turn will make you a very unfavourable target.

Now in recent weeks the metro cops have increased their patrols on the lane. A good sign I would say!

H

Hahaha that so awesome, yeah, she cycles that route on her own everyday, she hasn't had any bad encounters but I'm a bit more of a wuss I think when it comes to my safety lol

She's told me bout that spot where the skollies made a hole in the fence to climb through, it's gonna bother me for a while. My boyfriend n her suggested I cycle the n1 if I'm on my own, I'm still a bit nervous being near vehicles on the road but it sounds safer to me than potentially being mugged or worse :/