Specialized Tarmac Sport vs Merida Scultura 904 vs Giant TCR Comp 2

Charlieboy1

Hi! I am upgrading from my 12yr old Giant TCR Once and looking at these models. Mostly a mtb'er but doing annual Argus and DC therefore needs something light and comfortable but definitely not high end stuff (I also need something that will again last 7-10yrs...upgraditis only applicable in mtb'ing). Shimano 105 or equiv is the minimum requirement. Issues:

1. Value

2. Comfort vs Racing geometry (or is it more about a proper set-up)

3. Price: <R20000 (I can get these models at between R16500-19000 for 2012/13 models)

4. Other bikes

Thanks!

Those three, choose the Tarmac. The frame is very stiff and has racing geometry, but with a proper setup you will still be very comfortable. Also consider the Roubaix, the geometry is a bit more relaxed and was built for longer, endurance rides with comfort in mind.

Edited by bmc.te01

Preceding my Bianchi B4P series bike I had a Scultura 904. I loved that bike, it looked great, and spec was fine. In fact it looked like a much more expensive rig, and I really enjoyed its comfort. However, only once I upgraded and bought the Bianchi (Merida met its ending getting into a lift in CT, else I may have still had it) did I realize the difference.

Compare the bikes back to back if you can, that's the best way. If the spec is the same, it comes to the frame. While it isn't fair to compare the 928 to Merida, the difference in composure and feedback is just worlds apart.

Take the frame you prefer, take the more responsive one, the more stiff one.

Given the chance again, for example on a better frame with a slightly lower spec, 105 vs Ultegra, I'd make sure I chose the better frame. You can always swap parts out in time.

Canondale Caad 10 would be a better buy IMO. No matter what you buy get an Ergofit or BG Fit assessment beforehand and make sure you get the right sized frame. The Roubaix has a more relaxed geometry but still stiff ride and might be the most comfortable.

2013 Silverback Scalera 3 R20k 7,4kg Full Ultegra/Carbon/Mavic

Dunno if its any good?

Any idea where I can find one? Beautiful bike!

Those three, choose the Tarmac. The frame is very stiff and has racing geometry, but with a proper setup you will still be very comfortable. Also consider the Roubaix, the geometry is a bit more relaxed and was built for longer, endurance rides with comfort in mind.

Thanks, buying the tarmac tonight!