Road shoes on a MTB? Anybody with experience?

xtcman

Anybody out there that rides road shoes on their mtb? Really keen to do so.

What pedal,shoe combination should i go fpr?

Will i have to make any modifications to the sole of my shoe, such as an extra rubber surface on the bottom?

It will work but it's a mission walking on road shoes. The pedals are also not made for those conditions. Might not clip in if caked in mud.

Will i have to make any modifications to the sole of my shoe, such as an extra rubber surface on the bottom?

A lot of the top pros ride road shoes on mtb. The Burry's and Schurter's and so on.

Of course they don't get off at an obstacle to walk.

If you're in that league, go ahead.

Top end mtb shoes are good enough to transfer power to pedals. You get the best of both worlds.

A lot of the top pros ride road shoes on mtb. The Burry's and Schurter's and so on.

Of course they don't get off at an obstacle to walk.

If you're in that league, go ahead.

Actually Burry rides with these:

Specialized S-Works MTB

http://webstore.cde.co.za/Products/94/519144.jpg

Maybe this rule can be used in reverse too?

Rule #34

// Mountain bike shoes and pedals have their place.

On a mountain bike.

Actually Burry rides with these:

Nice try. I was very specific in saying people like Burry. Not, specifically, him...

PS, as with all top end pro's, you and I have no f**king clue what the use and don't use.

Edited by TNT1

It will work but it's a mission walking on road shoes. The pedals are also not made for those conditions. Might not clip in if caked in mud.

will obviously not use road pedals...

I don't think your road shoes will last long if you do propper MTB races. Some races include sections where everyone including the pros have to get off and carry their bikes...

I tried this in 1991 when I started MTB. There was nothing else available at the time. It wasn;t very suitable for offroad use depsite the fact that I used Time TBT shoes and pedals (metal cleats, metal pedals).

The cleats were incredibly difficult to walk in when needing to portage.

The pedals were pretty difficult to clip into and out of once they were clogged with mud.

There are very cost effective MTB pedal and shoe combinations available. I'd suggest you opt for those