Bottom bracket rust

Clinton1

My bike is totally rust free except for a section of the bottom bracket. Even after the first few weeks of riding this area already showed some rust like discolouration. It has not got particularly bad but it definitely shows signs of rust (image link below)

So my question is whether this is normal (on cheaper components that is) and how I can go about preventing it getting too bad too quick?

Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kbqeuraqnlgwjvm/20121017_193809.jpg

Had the same hassles with my octalink bb. Apart from putting some WD40 or Q20 after cleaning it off , that means taking crank arms off to clean rust.

If it is steel and it hasn't been treated with an anti corrosive coating, it will rust. That is minor. Regular squirts of Q20 will help. Otherwise use Tectyl.

Edited by Grebel

MCipollini, if I'm not mistaken mine is the ES25 Octalink. The bike gets cleaned regularly but as stated the signs of rust started after only a few weeks.

Grebel, I'll invest in a tin of Q20 I reckon. Was just interested in whether this is normal which I suppose it would be with a steel bottom bracket, especially in Durban.

Seems normal. No hassles in terms of noise or signs of BB failing. I did replace mine though which I got from CRC because I didnt know how long mine had been in there and I ordered a few other stuff as well. After I took mine out gave it a polish with some Autosol and looks good as new. Gonna keep it as a spare.

My bike is totally rust free except for a section of the bottom bracket. Even after the first few weeks of riding this area already showed some rust like discolouration. It has not got particularly bad but it definitely shows signs of rust (image link below)

So my question is whether this is normal (on cheaper components that is) and how I can go about preventing it getting too bad too quick?

Thanks

https://www.dropbox....1017_193809.jpg

You could almost say it is.. amazing how quick the parts on my son's 20" bike rusted. Cheaper components certainly don't get the same treatment as the more expensive stuff, that is for sure.

Careful squirting into the BB, try avoid that if you can.. my thoughts are your seals will not be the best and the Q20 may end up breaking down the grease inside.

Careful squirting into the BB, try avoid that if you can.. my thoughts are your seals will not be the best and the Q20 may end up breaking down the grease inside.

I did wonder about this. I have been reading that the ES25 Octalink is sealed so not sure if it will be an issue?

Edited by Clint_ZA

The bb I had in is a ES30 which is sealed and its a 118mm because it had a triple crank before I changed it. I replaced with a ES 5500 which is the 105 model and has a109.5mm axle. Both are sealed.

grease the splines when you fit the arm.the excess will be oushed onto the exposed area between the shell and the arm. Just spread it lightly with an earbud and wipe away the excess. Thats fine as rust preventative

Have you got a drainage hole in the frame under the BB? If you have an Alu bike and the tools to take out you BB then take it all out and drill a 4-5mm hole in the bottom of the frame for water to escape.

Wouldn't drill a carbon bike though.

That is purely surface rust and that is what we get staying in Durban with the best hills, best tracks and crap weather (Like today)whistling.gif

That is made of mild steal and there is absolute nothing you can do to prevent it! I can also assure you that it will not influence your bike performance in any way as long as you keep it clean and lubricated with some oil.

There is only three things that prevent rust on mild steel.....(one better than the other)

1. Galvinise

2. Replace with stainless steel

3. Paint

If you cant do the above, just enjoy Durban and go ride some tracks!blush.png

Edited by Motard660