Inov-8

Milkworx

Hi Guys,

I am contemplating going the "natural" way with my running, any thoughts on Inov-8?

I currently use New Balance shoes (for overpronation) and wondering if it's wise to go to the minimal cushioning way....

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an under-pronator and have runned with evey type and brand out there, and injuries kept coming. Bought a pair of terrafly 313's and havn't had a problem since. E-mail the guys from inov-8 rsa and describe your type of foot and running style/terain, they gave me amazing advice and service.

Go to The Sweat Shop - let them test your feet and recommend a pair.

I'm an under-pronator and have runned with evey type and brand out there, and injuries kept coming. Bought a pair of terrafly 313's and havn't had a problem since. E-mail the guys from inov-8 rsa and describe your type of foot and running style/terain, they gave me amazing advice and service.

Also an under-pronator (or over, I can't remember) and a few years ago, on recommendation from my trainer I went to the Run Away Sports shop in Pretoria. They sorted me out with the correct shoes (I think it was New Balance) and it made a huge difference for me. It turned my stress-fractures in my shins from a painful running experience to something that could forget about when running.

Inov-8 are neutral and also very light and has a bit less padding than some of the other brands out there.

Thant being said - they are very comfortable and light. my main concern would be your weight and running style.

If you are heavy with a far forward stride - heavy heel strike - you might need more padding.

have a decent running shop analyze your gait - running style - and make a recommendation

I recommend Running Inn - speak to Riaan.

Edited by Vinnydabutcher

Also an under-pronator (or over, I can't remember) and a few years ago, on recommendation from my trainer I went to the Run Away Sports shop in Pretoria. They sorted me out with the correct shoes (I think it was New Balance) and it made a huge difference for me. It turned my stress-fractures in my shins from a painful running experience to something that could forget about when running.

I also went to the guys at Running Inn a year or so ago....and my New Balance shoes are great.....but I heard many good things about Inov-8 and natural running story makes sense to me

Inov-8 are neutral and also very light and has a bit less padding than some of the other brands out there.

Thant being said - they are very comfortable and light. my main concern would be your weight and running style.

If you are heavy with a far forward stride - heavy heel strike - you might need more padding.

have a decent running shop analyze your gait - running style - and make a recommendation

I recommend Running Inn - speak to Riaan.

Yes, that's also my concern, I am a heavy guy (105kg), but will do that thanks!

Yep, Inov-8 is great, I have 4 pairs!

But go to Running Inn, have your analysis done for free and get the right shoe for you.

there are many minimalist shoes available. New balance does a good one, Inov-8 also. Also consider vivobarefoot and fivefingers.

Remember that you will have to change your running style as well. You will take shorter strides, run more up-right. Also you will run less on your heels, more of a gliding or "Sliding" of your feet across the ground.

Long story short: I went to physio, biokineticists and had orthotics made, nothing fixed my problems.

Bought a pair of Inov-8 F-Lite 195s and all that changed. I love them! My running has never been more enjoyable. Got my girlfriend to buy a pair and she feels the same way.

Bought a pair of Inov-8 TrailRoc 245's on Sunday. I've only tried them once. The extra padding is strange to me after the 195's but they are extremely comfortable and still promote a fore/mid-foot strike. I believe they will help me on the longer runs and jumping down steep mountain trails.

But be sure to take it slow. It took me a good 6 months to stretch my calves and achilles. Your feet will also need to get use to feeling the ground.

Edited by Goobacks

Same experience here. Use to have major ITB problems. After switching to Inov-8, have never had a ITB problem since. Your entire running style changes, more of a midfoot/forefoot strike, and boy do the calfs take a pounding in those first few weeks. But after that its all good. Have 2 pairs and am saving up for a 3rd.

Besides Running Inn, is there a spot in CT by any chance - will be there this weekend and have been wanting to get involved with minimalist running to avoid injuries (luckily i just get runners knee at the moment, but its a pain)

Inov-8s are brilliant, not sure I will go back to another running shoe brand again!

I used to get ITB pain and shin splints before I tried Inov-8s. Not any more.

I started with the road 255s from my previous (well-cussioned) New Balances, they have slightly more padding (the 3-bar cussioning). Did a sprint tri in them the day after I bought them and I was hooked.

Later, I also bought a pair of the f-lite 195s, which are a hybrid road/trail shoe with slightly less cussioning (2-bars). I use these for trail runs and also on road if the run is under 10kms, the 255s for longer runs.

If you change from a traditional cussioned running shoe go with the 255s (or other 3-bar models) first, as they will be less of a drastic change so you can get used to the more minimalist style, before going down to the 2- or 1-bar models...

SBR sport in Sunninghill do a video analysis of your running gait. Not sure what other stores do this - I've seen a few shops that let you run up and down and make suggestions based on that. My feeling is that without video analysis it's purely a judgement call, rather than evidence-supported guidance.

I went from Asics Cumulus which I ran in for 6 odd years to Inov-8 X233's and love them. When I'm fitter, I've also been known to run in Vibram Five Fingers.

Talking road shoes here:

I went from normal sweatshop prescribed kuk (Asics) which they had to refund me, to running sandals too quickly, to Road X Lite 155 - level 1 (trying to compensate for tendonitis all over the legs - achilles & adductor ;) . These were still too flimsy for me at that stage :( So I bought a pare of Road X255s which is much like a normal neutral shoe. Just recently bought a pair of Road X233s on special. Ok, most probably because they are red ;)

The idea is to run out the 255s, move to the 233s, and then get either the 195s or another pair of 155 (I'm using them for general 'takkie' wear - they are like slippers - UBER comfortable sthoes these!) and move down the ranks to the Bare-X shoes

Sad thing is that I'm sitting with a sore foot from stepping in a hole in the dark on a morning, so cannot run at all.

Oh, and the numbers 255/233/195/155 in the Innov-8 range indicates the weight of the shoe. So even the 255s (their beginner shoes) are quite light compared to the over engineered pieces of junk being sold to ignorant runners!!!

The arrows on the back of the sole at the heel indicate 3 arrows 9mm heel to toe drop- beginner, 2 arrows 6mm drop, 1 arrow 3mm drop & zero - no drop at all http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Transition-Journey.html

Being a natural mid to forefoot striker who has been force to heel strike I've found the Innov-8 range THE most comfy running shoes around! (Toes not straight enough for the Vibrams!)

Start with the 3 arrow Innov-8 shoes, and take it easy initially, move into this gradually, no need to rush. So run 600/800km in a pair of shoes before moving down an arrow level until you at your 'comfort' level.

NOTE: If you want to strengthen your body, fix your posture and running gait contact Mari Naude at technoWellness gym @ Cyclelab. She is quite well versed in the Lynotherapy thing. Or find out from Benita de Witt when she'll be running an athletes workshop in Jhb again and make the effort to attend

Edited by robox