FTP

Imtb

If I have an FTP of 270 what impact does that have on different types of MTB races - 45km, 75km, stage races? If we take out factors like how good one is on single track, down hill - technical skills, what else comes into play. I believe that one can only improve FTP of a relatively fit rider by about 10%...so if that is the case what else can one improve on to ensure continued increases in fitness levels for MTB. I am 47 - will a guy who has an FTP of 320 always be better than I am because I am unlikely, no matter what training I do, to reach anything more than around 300.

Is there a kind of genetic level most riders reach, that being 10% improvement with training of a relatively fit rider?
Imtb2008-01-23 04:32:01

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmm okay, how about on the road. Is your FTP the be all and end all as to how good you become - or does the distance you are riding make a difference?

w/kg is a more important performance predictor than pure watts, as it levels the playing field - in any discipline.

Not sure why you say only 10% improvement of ftp is possible, my ftp has certainly improved more than 10%.

Basically your ftp is governed by your lactate threshold.  Your potential power at lactate threshold is limited by your VO2Max.  So, you potential for improvement is be governed by how close your lactate threshold is to your VO2Max.

BUT, you are also able to improve your efficiency, i.e. more of the energy you burn ends up propelling the bike forward, and these improvements can continue for a long time.

Guest Michelle
bruce: Please post your stats!!   FTP, w/kg, etc. since you've been training with power.  Thumbs%20Up

bruce: Please post your stats!!   FTP' date=' w/kg, etc. since you've been training with power.  Thumbs%20Up[/quote']

Will do it when I get a gap - will need to do some analysis 'cos when I started training with power I didn't know what I know now, so I think my FTP estimates might have been a bit all over the place.

Thanks Bruce, yes I would also like to see what sort of improvement you have made...am pleased to hear that my ceiling might not be reached at 310 Watts but I could go higher! When one talks about power to weight ratio, I know that that is your own weight compared to power but I would assume the weight of the bike, camelpack etc should also have an impacy on power to weight ratio.

Thanks Bruce' date=' yes I would also like to see what sort of improvement you have made...am pleased to hear that my ceiling might not be reached at 310 Watts but I could go higher! When one talks about power to weight ratio, I know that that is your own weight compared to power but I would assume the weight of the bike, camelpack etc should also have an impacy on power to weight ratio.[/quote']

As Coggan is quoted as saying "Alls you can do is alls you can do!".  Without knowing what your VO2Max is, it is very difficult to place a ceiling on your potential.  And even knowing that, other factors like efficiency come into play which *may* allow for further improvement.  There are indicators in the power profile of a rider that can give clues as to what their potential is, such as a significant difference between 5 minute power and 60 minute power.  But at the end of the day, each individual is unique and without knowing you I don't think you should draw any firm conclusions in terms of the improvements I have made, or comments that I make.

Absolutely, it is the whole package that has to be powered by the cyclist, hence the desire to get lighter equipment because that gives you watt/kg that you didn't have to train hard to get.  Still, it is generally better to improve the engine because that is where more gains can be achieved, at a helluva lot less expense.

bruce, was wondering... FTP on the indoor vs. FTP outdoor... What would you say the diffrencs is? Just a rough estimate, 10, 20 ,30, 40, 50... watts?

Bruce,

How close to your 5 min power should your FTP be or how big a difference for a trained rider is significant?

15% Tongue

Thumbs%20Up  (at least for me anyway!)  Again, the more you ride the idt, the closer the power output will be to the road.

Now, Jason, say sorry (with flowers or diamonds!)