Mec mugged in cape town while cycling .

canadonis

INDEPENDENT NEWSPAPERS

Finance and Economic Development MEC Alan Winde. Photo: Jason Boud

Cape Town - MEC Alan Winde was mugged while on his bike on his way to work on Friday morning.

But the finance, economic development and tourism minister had the last laugh as his bodyguard tracked down and arrested the assailant within an hour.

Speaking to the Cape Argus soon after the drama, Winde, pictured, praised the superb work by his police protector. “We left my home in Durbanville at 6am. At around 7.10 we were riding on the bicycle lane through Paarden Eiland, near where the lane passes under the N1.

“There was a man standing in the road, and as we rode past he grabbed my arm and pulled me off my bike, also knocking my protector off his bike.”

The bodyguard was not named as he is a member of the police’s VIP protection services unit.

“[The mugger] leaned over, and pulled my cellphone out of my cycling shirt’s back pocket,” Winde said. “My protector kicked him, but he ran away.”

Winde and his bodyguard cycled to his office and tracked his cellphone.

“My phone is an iPhone, so we immediately tracked it to Woodstock.”

Apple iPhones are equipped with self-tracking technology using GPS locators.

“My protector and driver jumped in the car, and using a second iPhone, tracked the guy and arrested him. We are at the police station now laying charges,” Winde said mid-morning.

Asked about any injuries, Winde laughed: “At worst, I have a bit of a sore bum.”

Winde said he would raise the incident with the province’s and city’s teams working on cycling safety projects, and also report the incident to the City’s Mayco member for Safety and Security, JP Smith, to discuss any possible further safety measures for the route, if they were deemed necessary.

In a statement this morning, Winde said: “To the man who stole my cellphone, your actions will not deter me, and the many others who enjoy cycling in our city, from returning to my bike.

“Next week, I will be back on my bike. You [the mugger], on the other hand, will be in jail.”

Great publicity for the plight of the dangers we as cyclists face daily and we don't have the luxury of protectors...any comments..

Unlucky for him, good for us. Shouldnt this be a convincing argument to buy an Iphone.

No. This would be a convincing argument to get a protector...;-)

Is this what I have to look forward to in CT, the chance of being mugged around every corner?

Get a protector ;-)

Ja seems like a protector is the way to go. YOu will get your stuff back within an hour, can we just have protectors in place of police unsure.png

Mr. Winde will surely be pressuring the City now to make that route safer now. I think he needs a tweet with a link to our thread about that spot.

Thats why I said I rather take my chances on N1 when it comes to that stretch towards town.

No. This would be a convincing argument to get a protector...;-)

Get a protector ;-)

Where do I get me one of those? ph34r.png

As things would have it, you are in luck...get your orders in as they are flying off the wire....so to speak. Some models are a bit harder to obtain....thumbup1.gif

post-6166-0-38473600-1351927403_thumb.jpg

Edited by DaLoCo

Thats why I said I rather take my chances on N1 when it comes to that stretch towards town.

Oh no, thats pretty much exactly the route I will be taking to work , doh.unsure.png

wiTH THE price of iphone protectors these days maybe you get the services of a protector... the chinese knock offs should be cool... you get a little ninja riding behind you ready to kick assailant in the peanuts and then chase him down to get back your iphone

maybe now there will be some action towards cracking down on these syndicates that buy and move our stolen bikes. surely these bikes must go somewhere and these thieves know where to take them to.......i hope there is some will.....

Oh no, thats pretty much exactly the route I will be taking to work , doh.unsure.png

Where did you get a place? You gonna be working in Paarden Island am I right?

Less stress Caerus. I cycled the route you plan on doing daily for over 8 years, with the exception of the Paarden Eiland cycle lane stretch. Not one incident.