G00SE

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Bushpig

clap.gif clap.gif

do you make motobike noises with your lips as you carry out this gearing down procedure? laugh.png wink.png

Hahaha, for sure! I never managed to grow up properly; still working on it at 45! However, both times my Vaaaamm, vaaaam was cut short by the sound of my ribs hitting the ground. Kinda spoiled the fun.

Slick, I'm not saying that the orientation doesn't matter. Hells, if I get on a bike with the brakes swopped I'll have a bad time.

What I'm saying is that because someone used to or still rides motobikes, it shouldn't dictate which way they have their MTB brakes. It's personal preference, not other-hobby-dictated.

Take Aaron Gwin for instance. He can ride MX and MTB better than 99.99% of the people on the hub (I left out 0.001 cos Mr Minn has shown face here on occasion :D ).

He rides his DH bike with levers opposite to his MX bike

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2010/07/07/1279

Ahhh when Gwinny was riding a turquoise beast ..

Slick, I'm not saying that the orientation doesn't matter. Hells, if I get on a bike with the brakes swopped I'll have a bad time.

What I'm saying is that because someone used to or still rides motobikes, it shouldn't dictate which way they have their MTB brakes. It's personal preference, not other-hobby-dictated.

Take Aaron Gwin for instance. He can ride MX and MTB better than 99.99% of the people on the hub (I left out 0.001 cos Mr Minn has shown face here on occasion :D ).

He rides his DH bike with levers opposite to his MX bike

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2010/07/07/1279119125640-bho5tblqohht-670-75.jpg

Yeah. I understood exactly what you were saying about the moto guys. I've never raced or owned a motorbike so never had that "problem".

When I hop onto a new bike and it is the other way around - which happens more often than you think :P - I never have a problem adapting to it for 'normal' riding. Braking technique = squeezing both levers evenly and rotating bodyweight backwards driving feet into the pedals. Never grabbing means never going over the bars.

So... does anyone else ride their road and MTBs opposite to each other, like me?

Nope, both left for front, right for rear.

Only danger is that if you are a road or track motorcyclist you tend to grab a serious handful on the right lever. In a panic situation on an MTB you would do the same and you all know what happens then...

Pull your front brakes as hard as you want and you will have to try very hard to do an endo. You cant just merrilly be riding along and pop, pop a superman. Thats braking technique not orientation. Get used to your right (or more sensitive hand) modulating speed scrub. Locking the back ends up in more severe probles, speeding banshee comes screeching into his group. Try using your front brake as much as possible in replacing speed scrubbing u normally do with the back. Once you get the hang of it, it is amazingly effective.

Whether this is right/left is largely irrelevant.

Geez man not sure what *** brakes you using or if you lube your brake pads but if I grab my front brakes as hard as I want at virtually any speed I will be sent flying over the bars. I'm quite certain thats true for any bike with correctly set up brakes....