Tracking your performance online

Hi all,

Hope this is the right forum to talk about this…

I just wanted to present my latest idea to the world: an online counter for your performance when biking. The goal is to keep it simple: input your data (duration, distance, etc. …) and let the site display it, and keep track of your performance over time.

I don’t want to create a perfect website for professionals (I think that exists), but a simple, easy to use site. There’s Facebook app to help you input the data & share it with your friends – and keep motivated.

The details are here: http://trainingprofile.com/tour.php

Any comments, ideas or remarks would be terrific – remember this is version 1.0!

Thanks for reading this far,

Ted

Isn't this idea very similar to Strava?

Strava, Endomondo, Runkeeper, MapMyRide, Cardiotrainer, MovesCount and others all do this to a greater or lesser degree.

Thanks TNT1 for the encouragement (I need it)! You can actually use the site with a browser on your phone (if you have WIFI) - I use it even with a good, old Windows mobile phone.

@lapa, @Adventurer21: well, its tough to find an idea for something *completely* new... I have seen some of the existing sites and some are just great but... complicated (and you need a GPS or Smartphone or whatever).

I'm heading for something basic yet usefull. Also, the facebook app is somewhat original isn't it? It makes the training data 'social' (e.g. seeing your friend's counter increase on FB might get you motivated to keep up).

And hey, do any of the authors of the other web sites come to your forum and ask you how you would like them to modify their site? ;-)

Anyway, thanks for any form of input!

Edited by ted.reinhard

And hey, do any of the authors of the other web sites come to your forum and ask you how you would like them to modify their site? ;-)

Anyway, thanks for any form of input!

Keep that approach / mentality going and you'll do great!

Good luck dude!

Have a look at Dailymile.com pretty similar to what you plan to do. While I personally love Dailymile, there are things I would like changed. They are a pretty awesome bunch too. I once mailed them asking to build a synch service for my cyclemeter app. Got instant response, and like a week later that feature was in beta.

Something I would LOVE to have though (dunno if any other app does this), is a sort of "live" tracker. So the app on my phone records where I am etc, and on the site my wife can know how far from the end I am. Sort of like the Epic site does.

@lapa, @Adventurer21: well, its tough to find an idea for something *completely* new... I have seen some of the existing sites and some are just great but... complicated (and you need a GPS or Smartphone or whatever).

I'm heading for something basic yet usefull. Also, the facebook app is somewhat original isn't it? It makes the training data 'social' (e.g. seeing your friend's counter increase on FB might get you motivated to keep up).

Ted,

That was not intended as a negative comment, just a reality. I have a question for you. What does now or will in the future distinguish your app from these? What makes it stand-out from the crowd? What's you're killer feature?

I don't mind using a phone to track my ride, they all can do it. They also all allow manual capture of rides that you did not record.

The thing about that entire bunch is that there's very little that distinguishes one from the other. They all do the basics. record the ride (usually optionally with heart rate info), automaticaly upload it to a web site, provide some basic stats, and a history that looks Facebookish or Twtterish and feed it to Twitter and Facebook. Strava has the segmented competition thing, Endomondo has the challenges, and Runkeeper has the goals. There are small differences between them all, but nothing that goes "wow". I've used 3 different ones all they're all much of a muchness.

What I suggest that we need is THE one app that does it all. Now that would get my attention.

Craig

I like the idea of having an app that pinpoints my location and speed WHILE training so my wife can keep track with the same app on her phone. Not sure that it fits in with what you are doing though

• 1 month later...