How to get a good start time for Argus

Leg breaker

Howzit Hubbers

I am relativity new to cycling. Rode for the first time this year doing the Argus, never knew what i was doing, had no food and only one bottle of energy drink. Finished it in 6h30 Hated every second of it, and swore i would never do it again. So i started training and taking it very seriously. Pretty much all i do now is cycle.

My main goal is to do a sub 3 hour Argus next year. I know start groups/seeding is a big concern so i did the 94.7 to get a better start group, my time was 2h53.

My question is if i want a start group of between A,B or C what time should i achieve in the Die burger ?

Is there any other ways i can get a better start group ?

I think i will be ready physically.

Your responses are much appreciated.

According to your 94.7 you had an average of 33kph. A Sub 3 Argus is an average of 38kph. You looking at a time of Sub 2h30 for a Burger at that average. Good luck.

According to your 94.7 you had an average of 33kph. A Sub 3 Argus is an average of 38kph. You looking at a time of Sub 2h30 for a Burger at that average. Good luck.

eek.gif

eek.gif

Ja nee! Last year winning time for Burger 2h15 ar an average just shy of 42 kph. Dis k&k vinnig.

Its obviously different every year but to get into Group C for the Argus you probably need to do at least 2:40 at the Burger. Dont know how the 94.7 compares to the Burger but your 94.7 time should put you in a good enough group in the Burger to achieve that.

Good luck!

@LB, at your age why is a Sub 3 Argus so important. Relax and enjoy the ride. A Sub3.5 is a good time. Its the Fun Ride World Champs. Us okes having a midlife crisis need a Sub 3 to show we still got it.

Your Burger will be one of the results considered.

Finish within 15-20 mins of the winner.

Thanks, i will set my goal around sub 2h35.

Thanks, 94.7 wasn't a good race for me. Went to hard and cramped near the end.

@LB, at your age why is a Sub 3 Argus so important. Relax and enjoy the ride. A Sub3.5 is a good time. Its the Fun Ride World Champs. Us okes having a midlife crisis need a Sub 3 to show we still got it.

Haha. Its more of a personal goal. The Argus is the sort of race that everyone asks what you're time is.

no food and only one bottle of energy drink.

WOW!!! I couldn't help but give a little giggle here :)

Well done on your 94.7!! You've clearly moved out of the "noob" category!

WOW!!! I couldn't help but give a little giggle here smile.png

Well done on your 94.7!! You've clearly moved out of the "noob" category!

Haha thanks, still making stupid mistakes all the time though.

Haha. Its more of a personal goal. The Argus is the sort of race that everyone asks what you're time is.

I totally agree with MCipollini....Argus is a nice ride vibe with awesome scenery (good reason to get out the house and show we older chaps still got it to gun up Suikerbossie).

Myself, I personally live for the Jock which I've done once ( it's plus minus 155k's with K%K loads of climbing opportunity), would recommend it if you looking for a challenge and keeps you riding through winter. If you add some solid leg training at the gym, you'll be saved from major cramps too.

Just really a pity the Mountain to Mountain is a week prior to the Jock, otherwise I'd slot that in too.

Best of luck with the sub 3 too.