Shimano 2012 XT M785 Disc Brake better than Hope Tech M4's

Skylark

Been doing some research on the 2012 XT M785 Disc Brakes , people rave about them and on more than 3 occasions on separate websites people mentioned changing to the Xt's from Hope Tech m4's and preferring the Xt's.

The Hopes obviously aren't rubbish but the 2012 Xt's appear to be awesome brakes , not least being the pads on the calipers give the disc so much clearance , so no endless fiddling with brake rub issues - For the win if they are that way!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been doing some research on the 2012 XT M785 Disc Brakes , people rave about them and on more than 3 occasions on separate websites people mentioned changing to the Xt's from Hope Tech m4's and preferring the Xt's.

The Hopes obviously aren't rubbish but the 2012 Xt's appear to be awesome brakes , not least being the pads on the calipers give the disc so much clearance , so no endless fiddling with brake rub issues - For the win if they are that way!!

Here's some actual numbers and not jus what people say or think:

post-10758-0-48751400-1354128493_thumb.jpg

Now you'll notice that those are Race M4 Evo's, not the Tech Evo's. But the Tech has a more burly master cylinder, it's just not light like the Race, so if anything, the Tech will produce more stopping power and feel.

As for my 2c... well, I'm biased and love my Hope M4's. Seriously the best feeling brakes I have ever used. And as far as finish and build quality goes... shimano is miles behind. They just look cheap and plasticky in comparison. Also don't forget the versatility of the Hopes. Reaplcement master cylinder caps, levers, piston bore caps, you name it! Pick the colour too! and the Hopes are flip-flop.

So yeah, I personally won't trade my M4's in a hurry.

I love my xt's I can't speak for the hope fraternity but know that as sure as the day is long my brakes work better than most, I would be hard pressed to change

I love my xt's I can't speak for the hope fraternity but know that as sure as the day is long my brakes work better than most, I would be hard pressed to change

Hope brakes are like dropper posts (another thing you need to look into DaddyG)... once you've tried them... you'll realize what all the fuss is about.

Dude, I definitely agree with you. So to help you out, I'll straight swap you my current XTR/XT brakes for a pair of hopes. ;-)

I'm with Patches and SirM on this one.

Hope brakes are like dropper posts (another thing you need to look into DaddyG)... once you've tried them... you'll realize what all the fuss is about.

I have a dropper post, ride gnarly trails and don't like or use it... each to his own...

I have a dropper post, ride gnarly trails and don't like or use it... each to his own...

Aaah! Is it a Joplin 3 perhaps? :lol:

I don't think any brake on this planet can rival Hopes build quality and backup parts support but apparently from a purely braking point of view the 2012 XT feel and power are even better than Tech M4's but surely not as rugged or good looking!!!

But then again Xt's are half the price of the M4's....

I don't think any brake on this planet can rival Hopes build quality and backup parts support but apparently from a purely braking point of view the 2012 XT feel and power are even better than Tech M4's but surely not as rugged or good looking!!!

But then again Xt's are half the price of the M4's....

I paid R1500 for my Tech M4 Evo's (excl. rotors)... it's about knowing where to look ;)