Kid's bike - 4 year old?

Clinton1

Went for a normal run-of-the-mill R750 Avalance size 16" for my 4 year old. At that age it is all about the riding and none about the bike. Color and logos are important.

You can buy the nice stuff the moment they hit teens as that will be the time they have an idea of what they want.

The 16" will be too small within the next 2 years......

Yip, the 16" will be too small in two years (or 3 if you go by the stated age of 7) bu7t then a 20" will probably be too big for her to ride comfortably now. I'd rather she get comfortable with riding rather than battle.

where did you get the Avalanche for R750? Was that a while ago?

Things I've learnt working in a bike shop, don't buy too big as the kid then can't handle the bike. Make sure they can pull the brakes, sometimes they are very hard which leaves the kid frustrated. I wouldn't spend too much yet at this age they throw the bikes around and really abuse them so get something that can take the abuse. Get a bike with gears, even if heavy they at least then can ride the hills.

There are no 16" bikes that I have seen with gears. It seems that they only bother with gears from 20" up. To be honest I think this is the right way to go. At 4 most are still mastering balancing and the like, gears would just add confusion. Also at 4 I am not sure about riding any major hills :)

my folks bought my 4 year old nephew a titan. Awesome little bike. Great gear on it and well built. His parent bought him a Raleigh BMX and in comparison to the Titan its really crap.

Ha! I can only hope that was not for the same birthday/occasion? A little cruel to the parents... :)

You do know you have confused matters though. Everyone else who has bought seems to agree on the cheaper option but you are arguing in favour of the fancier option... ;)

I'm going to go with Mackie on this one!!!!

Clint_ZA, i went through what you going to go through. By 3 years of age my youngster was on a JD Bug. At 4 years of age i got him a cheapy 16 " Raleigh BMX, biggest mistake but that was all i could find. He rode the 16" for 2 months and totally trashed it. I knew he was destined to be a BMX racer so bought him a second hand GT Micro Mini BMX (with skinny wheels) for R1600-00. It was the best purchase ever as the build quality on these bikes is top notch and everything works and difficult to break, plus it weighes absolutely nothing.

From my personal experiance, rather get the more expensive Titan as it will make riding much easier, fun and safer. My son had a huge crash on his 16" Raleigh cheapy, due to bad componets. It was "piece of mind" knowing that if my son pulled the brakes on the more expensive bike, that they would work properly and perhaps prevent him from being involved in something nasty.

My 2 cents worth!!!

think its time i introduce the lil' shredder again (convert from 16" to 20" wheels)

http://lilshredder.com/images/a30ea9c48f18a1ef5774e3c36646b9e4.jpg

and for the HT die-hards

http://lilshredder.com/images/0b224765a8ff696a5b944272c5468b93.jpg

Rock - those bikes are awesome.

That Prodigy must be plenty moolla with the X9 rear deraileur etc etc...

Edited by Gravity-Life

I'm going to go with Mackie on this one!!!!

Clint_ZA, i went through what you going to go through. By 3 years of age my youngster was on a JD Bug. At 4 years of age i got him a cheapy 16 " Raleigh BMX, biggest mistake but that was all i could find. He rode the 16" for 2 months and totally trashed it. I knew he was destined to be a BMX racer so bought him a second hand GT Micro Mini BMX (with skinny wheels) for R1600-00. It was the best purchase ever as the build quality on these bikes is top notch and everything works and difficult to break, plus it weighes absolutely nothing.

Thanks for your response.

I'm assuming you have a boy? As much as my little girl will grab the tools and help me fix my bike, she is still a little girl and they are definitely different to boys. I cannot see her shredding up the tracks on her bike but rather cruising along the driveway and the beachfront with her teddy bear in the basket at the front :)

Great for sure but my daughter is very unlikely to need a more expensive bike than me! ha ha

from their website :

The Prodigy Full Suspension Mountain Bike with White Brother Fork and Fox Shock $1750.00.

Full Suspension Mountain Bike basic complete build starting at $2550.00.

Basic color option Cosmic Orange, Carbon Black and Sky White. Custom colors are available for additional cost of $95.00.

Thanks for your response.

I'm assuming you have a boy? As much as my little girl will grab the tools and help me fix my bike, she is still a little girl and they are definitely different to boys. I cannot see her shredding up the tracks on her bike but rather cruising along the driveway and the beachfront with her teddy bear in the basket at the front smile.png

That was the deal clincher.......no other bike would do! thumbup1.gif

I picked up a Titan 20" 6 speed (rear only) with front shock for my 6 year old (was a 2nd hand from Linden, got a good deal on it), and he loves it. my 7 year old has an avalanche 24" 6 x 3, we go riding quite often, whether its dirt roads and fields around where i live or a spruit ride (we do from Fratellis to Emmerentia on a weekend morning).

Yeah... they are heavy, but kids have boundless energy, and they shoot off up embankments and back down, through every puddle, never a straight ride.

Just a note: you can NEVER outgrow a 12" or 16" bike. (note: airbrushed to maintain a certain hubber's anonymity )

post-16445-0-91045000-1354695703_thumb.jpg