Argus vs 99er

g-star

Hi

So I completed my first race ever (Die Burger) and I think the bug has bitten. I see there is the 99er cycle race in Durbanville in Feb. How does this compare to the Argus?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same distance.

Little less climbing than Argus.

More rollers than Argus. Rollers for Africa.

Tough climbing finish over the final 10. Toughest finish I've seen.

I think the 99er is tougher than the Argus as the big climb is near the end and it ends on a nasty little climb also this year it was about 11km further because of road works don't know what will happen next year. The total ascent is about 250 metres less but it doesn't feel that way. 99er is alot more boring than the Argus and the roads not the greatest and also too narrow. The short route riders also come into play near the end which is not great.

Do the 99er as training for the August. You can guage your fitness and set yourself a goal for the Funride World Champs.

No question you have to do it great training ride for the Argus. Whats happening in August MCipollini? whistling.gif

It's a step or few tougher than Die Burger.

Pack your suitcase of courage fur this baby....

I had the same question as g-star, and based on the answers above..will do it as well for prep for Argus 2013

I signed up this morning and will be training hard after a poor performance at Die Burger. I've heard the climb to the end is tough but if you can finish strong then I'm sure you'll have covered 90% of the Argus training.

Haven't done this race before but surely the last bit of that climb up Vissershok must be the steepest climb in the Peninsula? (Can think of a few longer ones but none as steep?)

Must be murder after about 100km of racing blink.png

Haven't done this race before but surely the last bit of that climb up Vissershok must be the steepest climb in the Peninsula? (Can think of a few longer ones but none as steep?)

Must be murder after about 100km of racing blink.png

Thats not the worst part of it. The finish is located at the top of a 1.2km long climb called "Odendaals rd". It is also fairly steep, but after negotiating Vissershok (and all the rollers before it, starting right after you've turned of the N7) it feels even worse.

As Puncheur said, it must be the most difficult finish on the WC calendar.

edit = typo

Edited by Wannabe

Finishing on top of Odendaals? cursing.gif Thats just sadistic! I assume no sprint finishes then...

You'll be surprised at the speed the Elites go up there.

For us mere mortals, no Sprint only a Crawl.blush.png

Do the 99er as training for the August. You can guage your fitness and set yourself a goal for the Funride World Champs.

i hate auto correct