Best 29 er wheels?

oclv110

Maybe it has been discussed but I would appreciate feedback on best value for money 29er wheels, as far as weight and reliability is concerned. Also where is the best place to buy or to have it built.

Thank you.

Tough question...one man's value for money is another man's crazy expensive.

Wheels I've liked are Shimano's MT75/XT wheelset - heavy at ~1850g/set but continuous rim makes for a nice bullet proof low maintenance wheelset. Price is pretty good too.

American Classic are good - light at 1600g/set but they've got much more expensive lately.

Mavics are my current favourite - light and with continuous rim. Worth the cash I reckon.

Also bought a pair of Pro Lite Veneto's from CRC - heavy at 2,000g/set bubt tough to beat at R1,300 ex VAT and shipping.

Handbuilt are great but normally worse bang for buck than prebuilt.

Tough question and since the beginning of time there hasn't been a clear cut answer for this. Reliable, light, cheap, its a balancing act between the three, choose your priority and then buy a set.

The American Classics are weight wise 1450 gr, but how reliable are they. I currently have Fulcrums that comes stock standard with Merida Big Nine 3000 carbon.

Is the AC worth the 500 gr weight saving

Contact Ruan at www.spokeworks.co.za .......if you want the best wheel build (various combinations, depending on your spend), then he's your guy!

ZTR Crest (or Arch is you're over 85kg) plus Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs are a pretty bullet proof, well priced, reasonably light overall package. Available from a number of LBS and online retailers in SA