Bike carrier for carbon bike

lone one

a few people have advised me not to carry my carbon road bike on a bike carrier which supports the bike on the cross bar and rather get a carrier which supports it by the wheels.

can anyone else advise, as the price difference is massive between the two different carrier options

I reckon your bike is safe with either. the forces that it experiences when hanging from its cross bars are nothing compared to what it goes through on the road / trail and when being ridden.

I used to have a "Hanging" bike rack which was fine for my (and my wife's) carbon bikes, but it took a long time to rack them and protect them in a way that they would not get scratched.

then I upgraded to a rhinorack "sit on" rack and it is SO much easier, less stressful (on me) and all round better.

I have a Thule "sit on rack" and whilst it isn't cheap it's a pleasure to load and unload as mentioned by 8848.

the Thule sit-on racks are awesome, no matter what distances you travel, definitely the way to go. Money is well spent with these, considering what you will have already spent on your carbon bike.

Hanging racks are fine for very short distances, ie to the bike park etc, but the slight small movements in the clamp/frame connection rub wonderfully on your frame.

makes no sense treating your bike like this, transport it properly with a Thjule sit-on.