Polish, Buff, Shine... Scratch removal...

Ryanpmb

Hey hey

Not sure if this is quite a Tech query...

What does everyone use (if anything) to buff out scratches on a painted frame?

The scratches I'm referring to are obviously surface scratches just marking the paint and not through to the metal.

R

I've used normal car polish and it works quite well.

Yip was going to give that a go.

Was just wondering if there's anything specific to use...

Consider burnishing compound, NOT RUBBING COMPOUND. Panelbeaters use it to polish after clear laquer application. If you are going to use car polish have a look at Meguiars range of products avail at Makro, Game or car accessory shop.

Consider burnishing compound, NOT RUBBING COMPOUND. Panelbeaters use it to polish after clear laquer application. If you are going to use car polish have a look at Meguiars range of products avail at Makro, Game or car accessory shop.

Thanks. I know they've got a number of car products. Will have a closer look.

ScratchX works a treat. Rub it on, buff it off. Deep scratches are tricky, but if they're light, you should be able to get rid of them pretty easily. It typically sorts out pretty much all the scuffing you'd get from mud (and washing the mud off).

ScratchX works a treat. Rub it on, buff it off. Deep scratches are tricky, but if they're light, you should be able to get rid of them pretty easily. It typically sorts out pretty much all the scuffing you'd get from mud (and washing the mud off).

Cheers - just what I'm looking for!

Hey hey

Not sure if this is quite a Tech query...

What does everyone use (if anything) to buff out scratches on a painted frame?

The scratches I'm referring to are obviously surface scratches just marking the paint and not through to the metal.

R

Safe Cut

Yip was going to give that a go.

Was just wondering if there's anything specific to use...

The easiest one to use is called bulldog - get it from an automotive paint supply place - starts out course (sp?) and gets finer as you polish - let me know if you don't come right - I will puts some in a container for you and post it off - have way more than I can use in the next 2 years.

I think what I have is this product, supplied by Bulldog abrasives in SA

http://www.prestaproducts.com/Ultra_Cutting_Creme-details.aspx

Plenty of other polishing products from www.crazydetailer.co.za - nice chaps to deal with too.

They have a bucket with a platform in it so sponges etc do not pick up grit off the bottom of the bucket, and scratch whatever it is you are washing.

Edited by V12man

They have a bucket with a platform in it so sponges etc do not pick up grit off the bottom of the bucket, and scratch whatever it is you are washing.

Yep, few people realise how much damage can be done by washing with dirty tools, and even with shampoo that doesn't have a high degree of lubricity (which enables the dirt to slide off without causing damage). I spent 2 hours and a tonne of elbow grease removing fine scratches from my car on Sunday, and even after that it's not perfect yet.

The easiest one to use is called bulldog - get it from an automotive paint supply place - starts out course (sp?) and gets finer as you polish - let me know if you don't come right - I will puts some in a container for you and post it off - have way more than I can use in the next 2 years.

I think what I have is this product, supplied by Bulldog abrasives in SA

http://www.prestaproducts.com/Ultra_Cutting_Creme-details.aspx

Plenty of other polishing products from www.crazydetailer.co.za - nice chaps to deal with too.

Yep, few people realise how much damage can be done by washing with dirty tools, and even with shampoo that doesn't have a high degree of lubricity (which enables the dirt to slide off without causing damage). I spent 2 hours and a tonne of elbow grease removing fine scratches from my car on Sunday, and even after that it's not perfect yet.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice guys.

Time for some powertools... :) but still takes time I don't have anymore. (but I do have a nice makita polisher)