Scott Scale 960 2013 in South Africa

SAGecko

Hi guys

I'm recently back on the saddle after about 8 years off it. My last bike (still have it) was a Giant Sedona from about 1925, so I thought I'd treat myself to some new hardware.

Did some serious lurking on The Hub as well as hours of checking out reviews etc on the interwebs (must say, that was quite fun). Anyway, in my price range, it seemed that the Trek Mamba 2012 would be the bike to go for at around R9000. Great reviews all round and very little negative comment.

I went to Cajees in Fourways to look for one, not knowing they don't do Trek and happened to see the Scott Scale 960. This bike retails for US$1419 in the States (The Mamba between US$900 and $1000) and I was quite pleased to see that it was marked at R12,000. It has better components than the Mamba, so I thought I could maybe stretch the extra 3 grand. Surprise, surprise, the sales guy said I could have it for R9500. So I bought it.

Did I do the right thing? Is this the same bike as the US version?

Haven't ridden it much yet as I bought it this morning, bought it looks absolutely like I got a great deal.....

Hi guys

I'm recently back on the saddle after about 8 years off it. My last bike (still have it) was a Giant Sedona from about 1925, so I thought I'd treat myself to some new hardware.

Did some serious lurking on The Hub as well as hours of checking out reviews etc on the interwebs (must say, that was quite fun). Anyway, in my price range, it seemed that the Trek Mamba 2012 would be the bike to go for at around R9000. Great reviews all round and very little negative comment.

I went to Cajees in Fourways to look for one, not knowing they don't do Trek and happened to see the Scott Scale 960. This bike retails for US$1419 in the States (The Mamba between US$900 and $1000) and I was quite pleased to see that it was marked at R12,000. It has better components than the Mamba, so I thought I could maybe stretch the extra 3 grand. Surprise, surprise, the sales guy said I could have it for R9500. So I bought it.

Did I do the right thing? Is this the same bike as the US version?

Haven't ridden it much yet as I bought it this morning, bought it looks absolutely like I got a great deal.....

I have just bought one and its a SUPER bike - I upgraded my brakes and put on my Hope Tech 4's - and boy oh boy! It rides beautifully - very forgiving and really great handling (my first 29-er). Also got a great deal on mine. For the price I think you cant go wrong. Have been on it as much as I can and have tried to ride as much various terrain as possible - sand and mud and rocks - she just rolls through it. Now ready to put on slightly wider handle bars - I changed those to narrower flat bars and also put a negative stem on to put me into a more aggressive posistion and put a bit more weight on the front. LOVE LOVE LOVE my bike!! w00t.gif thumbup1.gif

Cheers Mons

Unfortunately I'm off to the Kruger for a few days tomorrow, so I'm going to have to contain my eagerness 'till I get back.

Interesting that you thought the bars were too narrow. I thought they were quite wide, but I'm not too sure of their angle which seems a bit sort of down turned..... But then again, I haven't been on a bike in quite a few years. I want to give the stock bike a good go at first and then change up if I find any major niggles.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Nothign wrong with the Scale, dude. It was recently voted as MBR's Hardtail of the Year. They LOVED it. And it beat many many more, more expensive "accomplished" bikes.

Nothing wrong with it - good choice.

Cheers Mons

Unfortunately I'm off to the Kruger for a few days tomorrow, so I'm going to have to contain my eagerness 'till I get back.

Interesting that you thought the bars were too narrow. I thought they were quite wide, but I'm not too sure of their angle which seems a bit sort of down turned..... But then again, I haven't been on a bike in quite a few years. I want to give the stock bike a good go at first and then change up if I find any major niggles.

I'll let you know how it goes.

I am small - found them too wide for me when I started out (so put on narrower bars just to get started ) on it but am now going to put them back on - maybe with a minor adjustment in width (otherwise they are wayyyyyyy too wide for me) - that will be done in the next couple of days. Enjoy Kruger and keep us posted on your ride!!

• 10 months later...

Right. Ten months down the line and a few thousand k's with the Scale 960:

What I found first off is that the learning curve when you get back on two wheels after a decade or so is STEEP! But I have to say that technically, I managed to learn more quickly than I thought I would, due, I think, to having spent many, many hours on a Suzuki RM-Z 450 carving though De Wildt.

I have to say that this Scott Scale 960 is an absolutely fantastic bike to ride. I have found it to be (within the limits of my skill set) very compliant in the rough and rocky sections, a sweet handler on any downhill singletrack, a Speedy Gonzales on steep climbs, and I'm damn sure that it will run out of capability in the technicals long after I have run out of ability and talent.

I am in amazed that you can go out and buy a bike like this for a few thousand Rand.

The one problem I did have was the Syncros Rims it came with. The front buckled like a Taco on a ride near Kyalami (admittedly, I was playing silly buggers with the front end) (oh, and I am 100 kg). But the nice men at Cycle Science in Broadacres replaced the wheels with Stans ZTR Crests (more about that later) and Sun-Ringle Dirty Flea hubs which had an immediate effect on the 960's handling.

That said, I can thoroughly recommend this bike, full stop.

More on the Crests though. I know they're rated to a maximum rider weight of 90kg but, although I like to hoon around on them and jump off stuff, they're performing just fine. Had to have them trued about 6 weeks ago though, so perhaps I should consider Stan's Arch's as a Christmas prezzie from someone.....

Just some last thoughts on the whole bike buying and upgrading business. I am beyond impressed with the Scott, but, like everyone who rides, I can't help but look and drool over the magnificent hardware on offer. A chap can throw any amount of hard-earned's at this sport and still have a burning desire to upgrade to the next level.

But the one thing that keeps (most of) my money in my pocket is this: I am very sure that I could upgrade to the latest and greatest Cannondale this or SRAM that, the lightest Ritchey thing or the best bits from the brothers Crank and I would still wallow like a Hippo in a mud pool behind a Nico Schurter at half speed on my daughters push bike.

So while the hard carbon-based stuff is desirable, it is nowhere near as important as the squidgy carbon-based thing propelling it all along.

• 4 months later...

I got mine yesterday I did for 97 km the shifting is exelent it handles very good one thing I did not like is the noice on the fork.

Yup, that XT Rear D is one slick little shifter!

I have heard complaints about the fork noise from other riders, but I must say that I haven't noticed too much undue chattering.......... maybe I ride too slowly :-)

Having said that, I'm sure my first major upgrade will be the fork. Any suggestions in that department from the more experienced Hubbers?