Cycling is not a good idea

dev  null

in the afternoon when it is cooking hot here in the Heldergberg basin on a Sunday during the holidays. There is just way too much traffic and drivers who are either too stoned, or drunk or in a holiday vibe to care much about driving properly.

In 1km of cycling in Beach Road in Strand I was almost wiped out 3 times, and that does not count the amount of other car dodging I had to do.

Then to top it I thought it would be a good idea to cycle to the pump station. Man, I wasn't even a quarter of the way up on the climb and my body was cooking. It is just way too hot on that road in the afternoon on a hot day. So my legs did not get the practice I wanted, but maybe good for conditioning my body for racing on a hot day in the Cape.

BTW, sorry for the mischievious topic. Gotcha! whistling.gif

As robox wrote, especially in holidays, get into the saddle while most party and beach goers are Zzzing.

And the pump station climb is hot even in winter... What an awesome climb.

Cycling in the heat of the day is doable, but you'll need to build up to get used to it. As a student in Pretoria I regularly went out after 10 in the mornings for rides of 40 to 110km. Crazy? Sure, but that was when I had time. Classes early morning, and bike ride for the rest of the day :) Wanted to be back before the traffic started again.

What he said.

Wife was working this morning at the Mediclinic. I had to play dad and feed the kids. It was the only time I got for cycling this weekend. I just had too bite the bullet and go and forget about the excuses to lounge in my bedroom with the aircon at full blast.

Next time, load one bottle with iced water.

As you do the Contador up the Pump House, sprinkle the miracle water over your head.

That'll help you conquer that baby...

Next time, load one bottle with iced water.

As you do the Contador up the Pump House, sprinkle the miracle water over your head.

That'll help you conquer that baby...

I'll remember to take extra water next time for the sprinkling only. I only had one bottle of cold water. By the time I hit the climb it was already half and hot enough to make tea with. I guess I underestimated the heat. But I guess I paid the schoolfees.

Edited by Moridin

I'll remember to take extra water next time for the sprinkling only. I only had one bottle of cold water. By the time I hit the climb it was already half and hot enough to make tea with. I guess I underestimated the heat. But I guess I paid the schoolfees.

A bunch of us went on a century ride yesterday that included Taalmonument rd (after rolling up Du Toitskloof Pass).

It was oven temperatures going up the 11% gradient as our low speeds was not creating any breeze.

Yoh!

Damn! Then the 8% gradient (I think) of the Pump Station climb is just a bump for you guys. That is indeed the problem of a climb. You are just going too slow to generate a cooling breeze. I now respect those cyclists that tackles the climbs in the Vuelta during a 35+ day in Spain.

We ride early mornings, (5am) and at night, so the traffic is the wildlife on the mountain, nd temperatures are cooler.

The wildlife can be dangerous though, Justin wiped out two nights ago when I porcupine ran in front of him suddenly.

Damn! Then the 8% gradient (I think) of the Pump Station climb is just a bump for you guys. That is indeed the problem of a climb. You are just going too slow to generate a cooling breeze. I now respect those cyclists that tackles the climbs in the Vuelta during a 35+ day in Spain.

The Pumphouse Climb is awesome.

What a view. Must really earn it.

Edited by ' Dale

A bunch of us went on a century ride yesterday that included Taalmonument rd (after rolling up Du Toitskloof Pass).

It was oven temperatures going up the 11% gradient as our low speeds was not creating any breeze.

Yoh!

What is 11%, Du Toit's or Taal Monument?

What is 11%, Du Toit's or Taal Monument?

Taalmonument also known as 'The Wall' in my books.

Du Toits is just under 20 kms with avg gradient about 4.5 - 5.

Another beauty.

Hey Moridin - I saw you riding through GB this afternoon - damn, but it was hot! Sorry you couldn't join us at 6 this morning for our cool ride to Kuils River and Stellenbosch... ph34r.png

Hey Moridin - I saw you riding through GB this afternoon - damn, but it was hot! Sorry you couldn't join us at 6 this morning for our cool ride to Kuils River and Stellenbosch... ph34r.png

Ya, keep missing your rides because the job as dad comes first. And mom has no leave this Dec so I guess that cycling and surfskiing comes a distant second at the moment. Once the school hols are over I am gonna put myself on leave...clap.gif

To make matters worse, the whole family is at my place tomorrow evening, and the garden also needed attention.