Whats the optimal BMI for a cyclist ?

More or less. It'a mapped to a constant though. sport scientist have shown that in cycling an ideal weight to height ratio to have is 2. Contador, Pantani et al is sitting very close to a constant of 2

Im not sure that using a constant is really any different to mapping it on a BMI chart .... this is really just a simplified BMI calc.

In any event, whichever maths you like to use I think the point that many others have made already is that these calculations will give an indication of performance at best - they are not pure science. For 99.9% of us the answer lies in training smart and eating right, not trying to chase a phantom number on a chart.

Anyway, talking of chasing things ... it's lunchtime, so time to chase my shadow up to the blockhouse and try not to think how far I am from the magical "2" :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree here, if I have an weight of around 68kg I would be about 2.06...which means my goal weight just increased, damn!

You could even be a better climber if you weighed slighlt less. You probably pushing out oodles of power to compensate for your weight. You might find that the slighlty lighter guy is pushing out less watts than you on the same climb and going at the same speed. In other words it takes less effort for him to hold your wheel

Tx CoS. So according calculations with my real figures I am 2.2 . I cant get taller so I have to drop down to 66kg. That seems a bit drastic at 1.85m.

Guys, remember the 2.0 is for pro climbers!! We're not all built for being a climber so rather look at your strengths than trying to lose too much weight.

Fabian Cancellara's height and weight is 1.86m and 80kg respectively which calculates to a 2.4. None of the pro climbers would be able to match him in a TT.

Exact same specs as me.

Whats your body fat %?

I dunno hey. Have'nt checked that in about 3yrs. Im at 73 kg currently and 1.85m. I could probably lose a bit around the waist.

You could even be a better climber if you weighed slighlt less. You probably pushing out oodles of power to compensate for your weight. You might find that the slighlty lighter guy is pushing out less watts than you on the same climb and going at the same speed. In other words it takes less effort for him to hold your wheel

This is true, however if you are a heavier rider with more power it means the power is in the legs, so if I had to lose another 9kg's and keep my muscle mass I wll be at around 3-4% bodyfat, so then I won't push out the same power anymore...ths I why I agree with Andydude statement, if Fabian Cancellara had to weigh 68kg's, there is no way he will be able to push out such power.

Guys, remember the 2.0 is for pro climbers!! We're not all built for being a climber so rather look at your strengths than trying to lose too much weight.

Fabian Cancellara's height and weight is 1.86m and 80kg respectively which calculates to a 2.4. None of the pro climbers would be able to match him in a TT.

Agreed! On the rollers he will kill the climbers!

In the end it comes down do you want to be known as a climber or as a machine....with our type of climbs the climbers won't really benefit that much as it is not as steep. The only tough climb is probably maritime hill, but then again it is a bit short so a machine could hang onto the hill...same as Ou Kaaps, it is not as steep, so if you got the extra power you should be able to manage quite well.

Edited by MTB_Roadie

Does the same formula count for ladies? Cause than I'm doing well at 2.24 ;)

I may be wrong but with ladies if you drop your body fat percentage way too low you could have problems like amenorrhea (absence of menstrual cycle).

Yeah but what goes up must come down; so when you hit the flats/rollers then the lighter guy will really struggle especially if there is a crosswind.

There is a fine balance between losing too much weight and losing power. At the end of the day it comes down to your power to weight ratio. You can build power or lose weight to reach a pre- determined power to weight ratio.

Losing weight should not be at the expense of losing power. See where you fit in the chart from Coggan

post-8954-0-86088000-1356602017_thumb.png

Edited by capeofstorms

This is interesting. Using that formula I come out at 1.98.

To make sure I'm doing it right, weight is 61kg and I'm 1.72m. I do feel climbing is my strong point. I simply don't have the power to hold on to gurus when it comes to prolonged flat sections. Hopefully some time in the gym can diminish the gap to some degree.

Yeah but what goes up must come down; so when you hit the flats/rollers then the lighter guy will really struggle especially if there is a crosswind.

I can vouch for that, I come out at 1.94 with 60kg @ 1.735m. I don't have the power in headwinds to pace and I get tossed around by crosswinds. It isn't fun at all.

I may be wrong but with ladies if you drop your body fat percentage way too low you could have problems like amenorrhea (absence of menstrual cycle).

Cant see that as a problem

This is interesting. Using that formula I come out at 1.98.

To make sure I'm doing it right, weight is 61kg and I'm 1.72m. I do feel climbing is my strong point. I simply don't have the power to hold on to gurus when it comes to prolonged flat sections. Hopefully some time in the gym can diminish the gap to some degree.

I like the flat, semi downhill-ish sections. need to drop about 10kg then the hills will be VERY bearable again. Getting there. patience, and many running kms!

Ok so I am a 3.6. Would this make me awesome on downhills :-)

Damn would have to lose 40 to get to 2.6

Ok so I am a 3.6. Would this make me awesome on downhills :-)

Damn would have to lose 40 to get to 2.6

Just watch out for this...

post-12446-0-62897800-1356616488_thumb.jpg

Thanks! I'll live with that! Can't see a 12kg drop to 63kgs to get to a 2.0 happening...

(Especially since I've started white collar boxing)

The 1st rule of Fight Club is...

:-D