Groupset and cluster

robingreve

Please help me i baught a Biancci with Ultegra components for my wife and i am not sure that the front gears are suitabally matched to the rear cluster. my wife is a biginner and i purchased the bike second hand from a tri athlete. the front gears are 52 and 39 teeth and rge rear is 12 to 23 does this soundcorrect as my gear ratio on my Scott are totally different.

Regards

Robin

Sounds all right for road, dual ring. What is your problem? Is your wife finding it a bit tough to turn. You could go to a 25/12 cluster at the back or even higher if she is struggling?

Be kind to her, fit a 12-25 or even 13-25. There's nothing that puts a beginner off like a bike that feels too hard to operate.

Surely she would need something with a 27 instead? Will she really benefit from a 13 or 12 at the bottom? How often will she ride in this gear?

Please help me i baught a Biancci with Ultegra components for my wife and i am not sure that the front gears are suitabally matched to the rear cluster. my wife is a biginner and i purchased the bike second hand from a tri athlete. the front gears are 52 and 39 teeth and rge rear is 12 to 23 does this soundcorrect as my gear ratio on my Scott are totally different.

Regards

Robin

Other option is to fit a compact crank. Magazines state that a lot of our elite ladies ride compact cranks. 50 and 34 up front

thanks for the replies, it seems that she struggles with not enough granny gears, is it possible to add a third gear on the front on the Ultigra or must you change the rear cluster

thanks for the replies, it seems that she struggles with not enough granny gears, is it possible to add a third gear on the front on the Ultigra or must you change the rear cluster

It is possible, but will be expensive as you'll have to change the shifter as well.

Cheapest option is to change the cassette to a 12-25 or even something easier.

If she still struggles, swop the crank out for a compact crank, i.e. 50-34 up front.

Last and most expensive resort would be to change to a triple chainring up front.

Be kind to her, fit a 12-25 or even 13-25. There's nothing that puts a beginner off like a bike that feels too hard to operate.

Yebo.

Is it 10 or 9 spd. I would even consider a 13-27/29. Dont mess with a triple chainring. Consider a compact crank alrernatively if you cant get a cassette.

Is it 10 or 9 spd. I would even consider a 13-27/29. Dont mess with a triple chainring. Consider a compact crank alrernatively if you cant get a cassette.

The compact crank is really cool. I've got a 50/34 up front on my new bike and don't miss the granny gears I had on my old one with the triple chain ring. Majority of the Specialized ladies road bikes come out standard with the 50/34.