Tokai tree felling: Snake trails

(Deon)

Loads!

I wonder if someone has made a brolly adapter for a helmet yet?? Portable shade..

Still working on it, including a 27.5" and a full carbon model, but I think it is going to go BIIIIIGGG!!!

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1387/954005630_a7682d26ed_z.jpg

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One day when I go for a ride in Tokai with my kid I will tell him about this and how it came to be. He will look up at me in gazing wonder and say "just how old are you really?" I'm all for what's right in the long run, would be nice if they could brush up on their PR to you in the least.

3yrs... If they could burn now it would be sooner but Gov't laws have changed regarding out of control fires and who pays.. So all the the pines need to go before the first burn. Interesting fact: None of the critically endangered species have sprouted yet, they need fire so controlled burns are guaranteed.

Loads!

I wonder if someone has made a brolly adapter for a helmet yet?? Portable shade..

PoS, not enough people say thank to you and the guys that volunteer, I am always dbumping into you guys there doing the hard slog work on a Sunday afternoon clearing up the trails to make a better experience for all of us that use, not to mention all your work talking to the SAN etc. So thank you, if more people helped more would get done quicker!

PoS EDIT: You did mean "bumping", right.. please say yes!huh.png

Edited by Pain or Shine

Still working on it, including a 27.5" and a full carbon model, but I think it is going to go BIIIIIGGG!!!

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1387/954005630_a7682d26ed_z.jpg

Nooo! That was my ship bound for port!!

PoS, not enough people say thank to you and the guys that volunteer, I am always dbumping into you guys there doing the hard slog work on a Sunday afternoon clearing up the trails to make a better experience for all of us that use, not to mention all your work talking to the SAN etc. So thank you, if more people helped more would get done quicker!

PoS EDIT: You did mean "bumping", right.. please say yes!huh.png

wahahahahaha, YES I mean BUMPING! Clearly my brain is not working this morning whistling.gif

Guest Omega Man

I was hoping we could re open that "Northshore" trail I'm sure that's a legit trail. heh?

Guest Omega Man

wahahahahaha, YES I mean BUMPING! Clearly my brain is not working this morning whistling.gif

Next planned volunteer build day is Saturday 2nd Feb. Plenty of time to plan and buy suncream. You are more than welcome to attend.

Edited by Omega Man

Next planned volunteer build day is Saturday 2nd Feb. Plenty of time to plan and buy suncream. You are more than welcome to attend.

I am not so good with hard labour, digging etc but I can always bring you guys sarmies and a 6-pack of beer?

The NS trail is actually open.. It links to Mamba now dodging the swamp at the Puffadder link..

Ah, you've just reminded me! Northshore trail is closed due to logging! It was open I swear!

Edited by Pain or Shine

I'll chat to them again today and request in addition to the trails being kept clear of debris, that they are opened at 4pm when the loggers knock-off.

Logging is not a clean and neat operation,so I doubt there is much chance of the trails being kept clear by the loggers. The heavy equipment will most likely be rolling over the trails and probably dragging logs over the tracks too.

When they felled at Lebanon, the trails looked like a bomb had hit them for a long time.

If you're going to ask for the trails to be open after 4, I suggest you put up signs warning of loose debris on the trails. There are bound to be loose branches which can kick into spokes, rocks will have been churned up by the logging vehicles.

Unless of course they are doing an overhead cable drag , a la Ax Men.

But still, it's not going to be fun to ride the trails while logging is going on.That's just my opinion.

Could Cape Pine not have waited for the end of the holidays to start clearing?

Guest Omega Man

The NS trail is actually open.. It links to Mamba now dodging the swamp at the Puffadder link..

Ah, you've just reminded me! Northshore trail is closed due to logging! It was open I swear!

Ok sweet. So when the logging comes to an end we can dial that track in.

I have in the past had an agreement with MTO to keep the trails clear of debris, this has carried over to Cape Pine as confirmed yesterday while chatting to the loggers themselves. They all understand that the trail needs to be cleaned by the end of the week.. if they fail to do so, I will take it to TMNP who are supportive of this. What I fear is that with CP being an American co, their policies on safety may not allow the reopening each day, partly for the reasons you stated that they would not be able to guarantee a clear trail daily.. At worst, weekends may be the solution.

This is the oldest compartment of Pine btw.. 35+ years.. I have heard that it will make the extraction slightly more complicated.. could be why they are umming and aahing..

Logging is not a clean and neat operation,so I doubt there is much chance of the trails being kept clear by the loggers. The heavy equipment will most likely be rolling over the trails and probably dragging logs over the tracks too.

When they felled at Lebanon, the trails looked like a bomb had hit them for a long time.

If you're going to ask for the trails to be open after 4, I suggest you put up signs warning of loose debris on the trails. There are bound to be loose branches which can kick into spokes, rocks will have been churned up by the logging vehicles.

Unless of course they are doing an overhead cable drag , a la Ax Men.

But still, it's not going to be fun to ride the trails while logging is going on.That's just my opinion.

Could Cape Pine not have waited for the end of the holidays to start clearing?

Edited by Pain or Shine

I was hoping we could re open that "Northshore" trail I'm sure that's a legit trail. heh?

Yes, please!

I'm in

I am not so good with hard labour, digging etc but I can always bring you guys sarmies and a 6-pack of beer?

Deal!

Love the "100 year plan". What about all the alien blue gums above Fresnaye and Clifton, or the pines and other alien species on the slopes of Table Mountain and at Rhodes Memorial?

Those could have been culled a long time ago.

Those are Stone pine (Elliotti) on TM and Rhodes, the Radiata type used for commercial timber spreads like the flu and is basically classified as a weed! The gum stands.. ? I don't know why they are still standing.. Could be relationship between wind barrier and property value..??

"I am not so good with hard labour, digging etc but I can always bring you guys sarmies and a 6-pack of beer?"

Deal!

Have you got one of these saeley?..

post-13110-0-59793700-1357203508_thumb.jpeg

You may need one to get in through the gate.. Just saying whistling.gif