Garmin data vs Strava data

I have noticed that the data on my garmin and the data that shows up on Strava once uploaded from my Garmin dont allighn?

Strava shows the KM as a bit less and the speeds too?

Any one else seen this?

Ye, my wife also noticed this.

Her average speed dif between the 2 sites also.

G

I have noticed that the data on my garmin and the data that shows up on Strava once uploaded from my Garmin dont allighn?

Strava shows the KM as a bit less and the speeds too?

Any one else seen this?

I've heard this too.

Hope there's not a big discrepancy?

I always roll with my Garmin then upload it onto Strava.

Strava 9.8 km, 122m climb, 10.8 avg

Garmin 9.79km, 122m climb, 9.1 avg

The avg is major dif...

G

Garmin will probably be the most accurate. Then like 'Dale said, import into Strava afterwards.

Poor little smartphone works overtime to record GPS data, send messages, play music, check emails, answer calls, all on the fly. Next thing you know it will be able to predict weather and tell you which segment you have a chance in getting a top 10! ;-)

Are you recording it with your Garmin and importing it to Strava? Or using the Strava app as well as the Garmin input?

If the latter, what could be happening is the recording point intervals are probably different, ie the Garmin plots a point every 20m and Strava every 50m.... the more points, the more accurate. If you stop, some apps consider a stop slightly different to what the Garmin might, so your elapsed time would be different too.

oh sorry, did not mention, both the data on strava and garmin site actually come from the same Garmin Edge 500.

this is how their on site software analyze the data, not a source data difference, then I'd expect a dif.

G

Garmin will probably be the most accurate. Then like 'Dale said, import into Strava afterwards.

Poor little smartphone works overtime to record GPS data, send messages, play music, check emails, answer calls, all on the fly. Next thing you know it will be able to predict weather and tell you which segment you have a chance in getting a top 10! ;-)

oh sorry, did not mention, both the data on strava and garmin site actually come from the same Garmin Edge 500.

this is how their on site software analyze the data, not a source data difference, then I'd expect a dif.

G

Ah, so the former.

Yeah I had no idea there could be a difference, since you take the distance between each point and the next, so there shouldn't be a difference.... only in altitude (climb/descent), and that's only because the algorithms that decide what a climb/descent is differ from app to app.

Still though, your elapsed time -> ride time and stop time, this could very well differ for the same reason as altitude -> Garmin might say ok, if you've stopped for 2s then I'm pausing until you go again, and Strava could make it 5s... (therefore Strava.time > Garmin.time)

Edited by Bianchi

I have a suspicion - and it's nothing more than that - that Garmin uses the actual recorded data and a lot of the other sites work on their map data. Or something like that...

Another example I've raised is the ridiculous discrepancy on every ride in elevation between my Garmin data and Endomondo, where I also load the self-same Garmin data (i.e. not via phone).

What about the fact that strava "hides" your start point within a 1km radius to make sure everyone doesn't know where you live?

It could possibly be that your stop time isn't taken into account.

so your x hour ride of x km's gives you an avg, but if you stopped for 30 min, it would change the avg speed

could be, the one maybe factors the stop time out and the other not.

G

It could possibly be that your stop time isn't taken into account.

so your x hour ride of x km's gives you an avg, but if you stopped for 30 min, it would change the avg speed

Are you recording it with your Garmin and importing it to Strava? Or using the Strava app as well as the Garmin input?

If the latter, what could be happening is the recording point intervals are probably different, ie the Garmin plots a point every 20m and Strava every 50m.... the more points, the more accurate. If you stop, some apps consider a stop slightly different to what the Garmin might, so your elapsed time would be different too.

Recording with garmin and uploading into strava and endomondo.

Endomondo shows same as garmin however strava shows lower kmp and lower distance

I have a suspicion - and it's nothing more than that - that Garmin uses the actual recorded data and a lot of the other sites work on their map data. Or something like that...

Another example I've raised is the ridiculous discrepancy on every ride in elevation between my Garmin data and Endomondo, where I also load the self-same Garmin data (i.e. not via phone).

Check my previous post wrt the elevation.

Not sure what you mean with your suspicion, could you clarify?

I have noticed that my metres ascended as always more when uploaded from my Garmin Edge 705.

Don't pay attention to average speed but my kms look similar.

I've also got a problem with differing data between by Garmin unit and the Garmin Connect site - specifically in terms of total elevation gain.

My bike unit always shows more altitude gain than Garmin Connect.

I don't know which one to believe.