Awareness Test

Xerxes

Missed the bear. But maybe would not have if it was wearing a brightly coloured cycling jacket?

Missed the bear. But maybe would not have if it was wearing a brightly coloured cycling jacket?

Unfortunately, even if the bear/gorilla had been covered in christmas lights, you probably wouldn't have seen it. The fascinating thing is not that you don't "see" it, but your brain doesn't expect it to be there, so it doesn't register as anything out of place. The test goes further to explain why, motor/cyclists still get run over, even while they have on reflective vests and lights. When we learn to drive we are taught (more than any other thing) to look out for cars. Anything that doesn't look like a car, gets filtered out. The authors/creators of this test then go on to caution that even if you make eye contact with a motorist, don't dare assume that they have "seen" you, because they (brain function/recognition) probably haven't.

This could, dare I venture, probably explain why Burry was killed. The taxi driver probably didn't even see him. It's not good enough to assume and conclude that taxi drivers are all maniacs and irresponsible and don't care. We can't pass Burry's death off just as carelessly as that. It may have been, sadly and regrettably so, that the taxi driver didn't even see him.

Edited by Simon Kolin

Unfortunately, even if the bear/gorilla had been covered in christmas lights, you probably wouldn't have seen it. The fascinating thing is not that you don't "see" it, but your brain doesn't expect it to be there, so it doesn't register as anything out of place. The test goes further to explain why, motor/cyclists still get run over, even while they have on reflective vests and lights. When we learn to drive we are taught (more than any other thing) to look out for cars. Anything that doesn't look like a car, gets filtered out. The authors/creators of this test then go on to caution that even if you make eye contact with a motorist, don't dare assume that they have "seen" you, because they (brain function/recognition) probably haven't.

So true. This is the reason why daylight driving light does nothing for road safety unless it's bright orange.

This could, dare I venture, probably explain why Burry was killed. The taxi driver probably didn't even see him. It's not good enough to assume and conclude that taxi drivers are all maniacs and irresponsible and don't care. We can't pass Burry's death off just as carelessly as that. It may have been, sadly and regrettably so, that the taxi driver didn't even see him.

Chances are the driver was looking for people standing around waiting to be picked up. A taxi driver's mind is focused on getting as many people as possible in his taxi as quickly as possible and the getting them all out again as quickly as possible. The last thing on his mind are cyclist or bikes.

Edited by The Crow

thats BS cause when someone requires you to focus, you do that, in this case following the ball. Yes it does prove a point, but in traffic, you wouldn't be too focussed on one thing and that is why you consistantly scan...MY 1C WORTH