Gwin to be on Specialized this year

nigelhicks

yeah... it does damage. He's a clean-living, religious, humble guy. So that statement from Trek paints a picture totally different of what people are used to from Gwin.

BUT ... then again ... remember who was his Manager at Trek ... the big M ... Whitely! ... knobshine 101! .... If you dont do it his way you're in *** ...

Again ... total speculation ... but maybe there were internal issues ... Cus Gwin is a really decent oke ... i think there must be a hidden agenda that caused him to pull the plug on the deal ...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not being a follower of this lazy race down the hill stuff (ph34r.png whistling.gif ), is this Gwin a nice chap, or a total box? Does this damage the "gwin brand" at all or something you would expect from him ?

Gwin's been perceived so far as one of the nicest (if not the nicest) guy on the circuit, so it's quite a shock to most people.

yeah... it does damage. He's a clean-living, religious, humble guy. So that statement from Trek paints a picture totally different of what people are used to from Gwin.

Gwin's been perceived so far as one of the nicest (if not the nicest) guy on the circuit, so it's quite a shock to most people.

That's what I'm saying Slowbee, Gwin has a reputation as being Mr Nice Guy, at least that;s the way he has come across in interviews. Also abstemious in terms of all partying that goes on.

But things are never what they seem ohmy.png

jislaaik, had to google a word or two there.

So he is a nice bloke, which is what I fougt

Mmmm, as per everything, I wonder what the real story is? Hey wait I know, didnt LA ride for trek ? nuke.gif eek.gif

Guest Omega Man

I don't see what the problem is. He's a professional sportsman. They have a very short shelf life so he needs to earn some tom before he retires. And Downhillers don't earn huge money compared to most pro athletes so the need is even greater.

One of the articles I read said letter of intent. That's not a contract. Provided of course it was in fact a letter of intent not a contract.

Edited by Omega Man

I don't see what the problem is. He's a professional sportsman. They have a very short shelf life so he needs to earn some tom before he retires. And Downhillers don't earn huge money compared to most pro athletes so the need is even greater.

One of the articles I read said letter of intent. That's not a contract. Provided of course it was in fact a letter of intent not a contract.

Absolutely, no question about being driven where the money is (hell, I give more attention to big-bucks-paying clients at the cost of smaller ones, it's a reality), my comment was more in context of the prior agreement, which I think there is a bit of vagueness around. If there is in fact a signed contract, then I can understand the unhappiness. If there is only a statement/letter of intent, I can also understand the unhappiness, but then it's a case of it simply being unhappiness and not a huge scandalous legal battle. Either way, there are two parties involved and neither is likely to be 100% right or wrong, as is usually the case with these things...

either way he better keep winning some races or he's gonna look like a serious douche.....

so who is Trek going to sign now?

BUT ... then again ... remember who was his Manager at Trek ... the big M ... Whitely! ... knobshine 101! .... If you dont do it his way you're in *** ...

Again ... total speculation ... but maybe there were internal issues ... Cus Gwin is a really decent oke ... i think there must be a hidden agenda that caused him to pull the plug on the deal ...

I would also rather leave a sponser that was involved with Lemond at any stage.............

The main problem with a Demo is that it looks like a boerboel's @rse.

My 2 Boerboele take exeption to this statement.

I think he is shooting himself in the foot and its gonna come round and bite him... he had a great thing going with Trek. All the better for Greg!

Its not the first time Spaz try steal riders: Trek Leopard almost became the Spaz Leopard barring a court ruling!

This is Interesting - from VITAL ....

We've got to admit, it was a bit odd to see Gwin switching teams following an August 13 press release saying he would remain with TWR for three more years. From a contractual and legal point of view, the parties may still feel that there are issues of breach and/or compensation to work out, whether or not that leads to any kind of settlement or legal action remains to be seen. Also keep in mind that Trek and TWR are separate entities.

If our memory serves us right, this isn't the first time something like this has been attempted. Whiteley himself tried to get Greg Minnaar to break a written agreement a few years ago, urging Minnaar to join Trek World Racing over the Santa Cruz Syndicate. Minnaar ended up staying with Santa Cruz.

Where does the fastest man in the world belong according to the lawyers? Right now, only time will tell. Let's just hope that all this confusion won't distract Gwin from staying focused on his training during the off season. Aside from his incredible ginger powers, it seems to be a big key to his success.

What I find interesting is the second paragraph (highlighted) .... where they say that Whiteley tried to get Minnaar onto TWR ... and break his contract ... Hmmm ....

As i have said before ... DOOSH! ...

Aaron Gwin says, “I did not breach any contract”

I'm writing this public note to hopefully shed a little light on what's actually going on with my move to Specialized.

Reports that I broke my contract with 23 Degrees/Trek World Racing are false.  My contract expired.  The one-page letter of intent I signed said there would be a “full length contract” with “precise terms” coming in the future.  The 16-page contract that showed up in late November was not signed by me because it was not the deal we had made. I have moved on to a team that gave me the contract I wanted, and these are the facts.

The press reports are inaccurate, unfair, and one-sided. Because 23 Degrees has hired lawyers and threatened to sue me, my lawyers have told me not to say anything for now.

While riding for Trek, I lived up to my contract and gave them my 100% effort and full commitment.  I intend on doing the same for Specialized.

As for now, I want to let my fans know that my offseason training has been going great. I love my new bikes and I'm more excited to race this year than I ever have been. Big thanks to the Specialized family for such an amazing opportunity and support.

I hope everyone understands that I cannot talk any further about this at this time, but I felt like I needed to clear the air a bit, without getting too much into the legal stuff.

Thanks to all the fans who have stood behind me.

AG

http://aarongwin.hookit.com/