Credit Card used fraudulently when entering races

Backpacker

Never use my credit card except to enter races. Finally got around to entering all the races till Argus.

No sooner had I finalised the last entry of 3 when Nedbank phoned to ask if I had bought anything at EA Store. I have since received 3 sms's confirming 3 transactions at this store (they sell software).

They are opening a case of fraud, waiting to see the details, never had a problem with CycleLab entries, not sure about the entries for Carnival City, how secure are they???

Well done to Nedbank for being alert, was notified even before I got the sms's!!

Get yourself a Virgin card with a R1000 limit on it rather than using your personal/business card.

I hate having to enter ID, CC number etc, its always a gamble.

Cycle Lab's website uses a good merchant, they're bullet proof, so the chances are very slim that it would be from their side.

Get yourself a Virgin card with a R1000 limit on it rather than using your personal/business card.

I hate having to enter ID, CC number etc, its always a gamble.

Whats a Virgin Card?

I got myself a Discovery card with a small limit just for online purchases. If I need more I just transfer extra funds from cheque account.

Not sure what malware is, but used work computer which I am certain is pretty secure. Carnival entries were through ChampionChip entry site, don't think I've ever used that entry site before, first time in a long time we are entering road races. Phoned them and she assured me the site was secure.

Where did you do the entry from? What network were you on? If you were on a hotspot etc or wireless you are easy pickings.

FWIW I have even had chip and pin cards skimmed and used within minutes online.

The latest trick is a scanner which emits an RF signal that excites the chip which then sends all your details back to the skimmer, so they have all they need and they dont even need to get a hand on the card physically, you just need to be in range. Scary. And this happened in Canada, not locally.

If its your first time then you are a no longer a wirgin :-)

BTW - a lot of the fraud is from organized rings in the banks themselves....

And if the bank asks you to destroy the card then wait until they have refunded the amounts that are outstanding. I had someone ask me if my cards were still in my posession, but when I had reported it they asked me to destroy the card.

Entered here https://secure.onreg.com/onreg2/front/step1.php?id=1716. Received confirmation that my entry and payment had been received.

Sitting at work behind my desk, no hotspot, no wifi. Bank told me not to use card, they would issue a new one. Asked what alerted them to phone me, said I had never bought at this store. See there is an EA Store trading in SA Rands (Origin), the transactions were in Euro's.