UST Valve

Waynehans

I just got new wheels. The valves that are on the rims, dont have the small valve piece that can unscrew to insert Sealant. Can I put in sealant on this valve, or shouls I get new valves? ie Stans?? etc

For sure you could change the valves but you could also just 'break' a small piece of the tyres bead from the rim and insert sealant that way. I use a fairly large syringe to do it with ....

I am not aware of any way to insert sealant with those valves though

Edited by NotSoBigBen

Yup just open the tire with a tire lever a bit and pour some sealant in that way.

If you are using proper UST tires (like Maxxis Crossmark, etc), you should be able to seat it again with your floor pump.

If you are using non tubeless or tubeless ready tires (like Maxxix Ikon or Schwalbe TLR), a compressor will make seating them again much easier.

New wheels, i want to put the tires on today. Maxxis Crossmarks. Should I poau in the sealant and then seat them, or seat first and op up?

I put sealant in first ....

No. this gets quite messy especially if the tire refuses to seat properly.

First, open out your new tires and let them lie for a while to get back into their 'normal shape' after being folded.

I usually install them without sealent first to get the tire seated properly (sometimes needs a visit to the engen and their strong compressor when my hand pump/small car compressor wont seat the tire)

Then unscrew the valve and squirt in sealent, or in your case, crack open a small gap between the tire bead and rim on one side only, and install sealent. be careful not to unseat the entire tire. pump up and continue the usual sidewall sealing process once the bead is bedded into the edge of the rim.

If you struggle to seat the tyres, install them with a tube and pump up so they seat and leave them like that for 30minutes.

Then remove the tube and try to seat them with no tube.

Spray the bead area with soapy water to help lubricate the bead. You'll also see bubbles if there is a leaky area.

Once seated nicely, deflate, crack a small part of the bead, add sealant and re-inflate.

No. this gets quite messy especially if the tire refuses to seat properly.

+1

When I do my sealant I first try get the tyre to pop without sealant in it just to make sure that you are able to get it to seat and inflate. If that test works, deflate and pop as much bead off as you need to throw the sealant in. Sometimes the entire one side of the tyre climbs off the rim and that's fine as you know you'll get it to seat again.