Preparing for my first 94.7 road challenge with my MTB

ravz86

Hi guys , I know this topic has been discussed a few times and I have found some valueble information with regards to tyres, nutrition and not trying anything different on race day ..

Thing is I dont do road riding , all the training with my bike will be off road. I mostly cycle in gauteng at Groonkloof, Northern farms, Modderfontein ., cycle trails. Is this okay or do I have to prepare on the road? I started going for a few spinning sessions also.

I have a Momsen 21" AL 126, which I am pretty comfortable with but I have not ridden it for more than 3 hours. Shoud I take it for a proper bike fit? How will this help me?

My thinking is, if I can ride my bike for 4/5 hours I will be able to atleast get close to finishing the race. My concerns are not completeing the event or cramping.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Naaaah, just get on your bike and ride it.

Don't do slicks on a MTB! (it's like castrating it)

Prepare for it as you would for a normal MTB race/ride and you should be fine. Remember there's a lot of first timers, so you can just cruise at your own pace with the fitness level that you have. You will never be last if you've spent 3 hours on the bike, even if only once!

And remember sunblock! Techniblock FTW!

Edited by Lamber

Ride a 55-60km MTB race, if you can finish that well, you can ride 94.7.

Being a beginner, take it easy, ride your bike a little more, as discomfort is a certainty. If you dont get more comfortable, go for a fit.

I did my first one on a mountain bike and it was no problem, I rode really slowly 'cos my wife had only ridden 400km total prior to the race and she wanted me there. We still did 5hrs 25mins and it was fine.

Depending on when you start, it's going to be hot, so drink a lot, they have loads of water stations along the way so that shouldn't be a problem.

It's a fun day, so as long as you don't loose sight of that, you'll do great.

Hi guys , I know this topic has been discussed a few times and I have found some valueble information with regards to tyres, nutrition and not trying anything different on race day ..

Thing is I dont do road riding , all the training with my bike will be off road. I mostly cycle in gauteng at Groonkloof, Northern farms, Modderfontein ., cycle trails. Is this okay or do I have to prepare on the road? I started going for a few spinning sessions also.

I have a Momsen 21" AL 126, which I am pretty comfortable with but I have not ridden it for more than 3 hours. Shoud I take it for a proper bike fit? How will this help me?

My thinking is, if I can ride my bike for 4/5 hours I will be able to atleast get close to finishing the race. My concerns are not completeing the event or cramping.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Depending on your nerves, riding in a bunch might be the biggest challenge if you are not used to it. Maybe do a few less populated road fun rides to get used to it.

Otherwise ride within yourself and try do at least one training ride before the day of the same duration that you except to do on the day.

Thanks for the info guys , I still have a few months to decide what tyres I will use.

I tried to ride a road bike last week but did not enjoy it and I found although my mountain bike is heavier , it is easier to paddle uphill with the mtb. So that is a good advantage of riding a mtb on the road?? I know it will be much slower but I just want to ride the event with the type of bike I am comfortable with.

I will try to spend as much time as I can on the bike and service it a month before the event. How long does a chain last? I know people who had their chain snap. Should I change mine just to be on the safe side? did 300 km with my bike thus far

I suggest if you can try do at least 1 road race or a group ride on the road to get used to the other +/- 20000 bobbing and weaving cyclists.

If you have your bike serviced often, then no worries. Don't service your bike a week before the race like everyone else. Have it serviced a couple weeks before and do a couple ride before the 94.7.

Also just go out there to enjoy the day, it sounds like you will be more then prepared for the race!

Don't replace the chain, you only looking for trouble (just my suggestion)

If you have your bike serviced often, then no worries. Don't service your bike a week before the race like everyone else. Have it serviced a couple weeks before and do a couple ride before the 94.7.

Also just go out there to enjoy the day, it sounds like you will be more then prepared for the race!

Don't replace the chain, you only looking for trouble (just my suggestion)

Yep, replacing chains is probably the second highest reason they fail.

Thanks guys! okay so no chain replacement and I will try to do a road event before November!

Most Importantly I must remember , Have fun :)

All this worrying about completion I miss the fun part!

Edited by ravz86

Dit it last year on merida tfs 500 for the first time. Heavy bike and 100kgs myself. Did it in 4:36 and I ENJOYED IT. Had conti race kings on my bike. ENJOY.

Pretty much everything has already been said by the above guru's but another free bit of advice is JOIN A CHARITY group. Presumably you will be unseeded which means you will start just before 10:00am, but the charity groups will start at around 8:30am and save and in November an earlier start is a beeeeg help. The Paige Project http://thepaigeproject.co.za/ is a very good cause / group but there are stacks of other great ones as well.

I would also suggest perhaps also doing a 3-4hr road ride a few weeks before at the Cradle or the like just to get some saddle time. And I know this is a slightly contentious point, but I'd say get slicks, it will save you a good bit of time and effort.

I rode 5 hours on my MTB last year with my daughter who only did spinning classes prior to the race. Make sure you take enough to eat. We found that many of the feeding stations ran out of food, especially on the Krugersdorp highway and further on. This is when you need to eat especailly if you have been on the bike for at least 4 hours already. Make sure you drink a lot and stop at the water points to fill up. Just take it easy, wear a heart rate monitor and stay within your riding zone and most of all have fun. Try riding a shorter road race with your mountain bike closer to the time. Often the big races have 50km road races as well.