Want to ride your bike in the biggest Mountain Biking area in the world? 2.0

Guest Omega Man

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

My input... well I have only done the trip once (8 -23 August 2012) and it seemd like great timing.

One of the locals said that the lift queues are shorter in August, the weather is better (although I think it's a gamble either way), but the tracks have had a bot of a beating.

In my 2 weeks there I only had 1 rainy morning, but was still able to ride once the lifts opened. The longest lift queue I had was at the bottom of chatel and the wair was 20min, if that. So some extra braking bumps are a minor factor.

Plus, our trip will probably be around that time so we can have a big Saffer party!

Thanks. Ja look as far as the weather goes I've spent ages trying to find a trend using various weather websites and all I could figure out was that statistically September is the driest month with an average of 8 days of rain vs 9 for July and August. This year we lucked out with the weather in that even the rainy days were just afternoon thunder showers.

Regarding lift queue's Chatel seemed to be the worst. Particularly on weekends but the longest we waited was bout 20 minutes. Oh. The week after Passportes is pretty crowded which is exactly why we are not going then.

With the state of the tracks it's kind of a toss up. In Les Gets they seem to set and forget. Particularly on the main line where this year there were people doing work on Zore and Chatel every day we were there.

Guest Omega Man

Ok. There is a logical reason for the frankly ridiculous prices from late June through mid July. It's the football world cup. Duh Duane. This might not make sense seeing as we are going nowhere near Brasil but the plan is to go Emirates if possible and Dubai is something of a hub so people flying from here will fly to Dubai and route from there on to Brasil.

Having said that I've made a few little inquiries and I've got 2 dates in mind.

First choice is 5th July - 19th July

Second choice is 2nd August - 16th August.

If I can spin it in terms of pricing we will be going in July. It's still my belief that going early is better simply because there are fewer braking bumps on the main lines. Having said that a mate of mine is out there right now and he reckons the braking bumps are the same as the beginning of the season but the queues are short.

The riding season is pretty short. It's pretty much July and August with Les Gets, Morzine and Chatel being open before and after this dates. The linking lifts are closed tho.

Edited by Omega Man

Just returned from Morzine.Had a total of 6 days riding ,would have liked more,but also went to Italy and did some riding there.

The experience in Morzine was well worth the effort and cost to get over and there is so much track I would have loved to have more time! As I was on my own, and consider myself more of an intermediate level enduro rider, I was happly to ride the Portes Du Soleil trail, but also dropped down the Pleney, Chavannes , and other trails.

My morewood mbuzi coped very well with the rough stuff and was up to the level of riding for me.

I would have liked a full face helmet though,and that did held me back at times ,also the fittness level for the descents was not something I am used to .Have new respect for downhillers!

My morewood mbuzi coped very well with the rough stuff and was up to the level of riding for me.

That's what I want to hear. What fork and brakes are you running?

Lyrik 170mm coil , and the old LX brakes, 203mm rotors. Used up one set of pads. DHX4 air shock, did run it a little harder though.

Was very pleased with the way the mbuzi behaved.

Lyrik 170mm coil , and the old LX brakes, 203mm rotors. Used up one set of pads. DHX4 air shock, did run it a little harder though.

Excellent, thanks! Running a 160mm Solo Air and I was a little worried it wont be enough.

Guest Omega Man

DETAAAIIIILLLSSSS!!! Post up some pics please dude. It helps me get over my Post Alpine Depression.

DETAAAIIIILLLSSSS!!! Post up some pics please dude. It helps me get over my Post Alpine Depression.

ok, will do, will take a day ,or so as I will have to find out how to upload pictures.

Guest Omega Man

ok, will do, will take a day ,or so as I will have to find out how to upload pictures.

When u click on reply theres another button called more reply options