Roth 2014

Garfield2010

So thusfar its myself and Gunston doing Roth 2014.

And Swissvan and one or two other hubbers has made some noises but nothing is confirmed.

I thought maybe we can share some ideas on here in terms of the administration of a trip like this...

It looks like you can expect roughly to pay around R8,000 per human being for the flights even though Lufthansa will run a special for athletes which one normally assumes will include free bike transport etc.... Emirates also flies as does SAA even though I would rather not make use of them

Now then... is there a lekker train that goes from Fankfurt to Roth?

Also post race.... Is there a train that will take us straight to the Alpe du Huez in time to see the peleton blow past???

A lot of things needs to be sorted out first like the TDF routes etc.. I just want to get some ideas of what is on offer. Roth is normally mid July..

If we have 10 days after the Roth race... how will they be spent the best way... Paris.... Belgium... Switzerland... Austria? It is summer time so what does that mean?? I would love to go on a train journey through the Alpes especially right after the race when I need to recover.......

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Garf

A few questions:

1. Do you know when entries open? I think you already have one on account of CCT.
  2. Do they sell out in 5 minutes? ie Can I get an entry?
  3. Is this a boys only tour or are you taking your better half?

I am planning on Alpe d'Huez Triathlon a few weeks later and this may be an attractive option if there is a bit if an SA contingent.

Both are awesome races worth doing. Alpe d'Huez can always be 2015.

Hi Garf

A few questions:

1. Do you know when entries open? I think you already have one on account of CCT.

I am planning on Alpe d'Huez Triathlon a few weeks later and this may be an attractive option if there is a bit if an SA contingent.

I was also thinking Alpe d Huez Dave but not if the wife goes along which she will. I will however be in the Alps around that time so you never know hey!!!

Well I emailed Felix and asked nicely for an entry. I said that I would pay for it but I needed one guaranteed. I also reminded him of CCT and he basically responded with offering me one for free for 2014 which I duly accepted....

I will forward you that email now dAVEm. Just don't everybody now try it as I am sure he wont give everybody a free entry. After all the Garf is a celebrity now so no wonder he did what he did...

Edited by Garfield2010

Maybe we can do a Alpe d Huez Team race? You can swim and run. I will bike :ph34r:

You do know that the water is 3 degrees and the run is a "trial" run in the mountains? Mwuhahahaha!!!

Hi Garf

A few questions:

I looked on their website and it seems the entries are very similar to the epic, like hens teeth and sell out very quickly, not sure when they open exactly.

If I go my wiff will definitely be coming with

I used the Swiss SBB (swiss train service) to do an online enquiry about trains (see link below) and there are fairly regular connections and show a traveling time of 3 to 3.5 hrs

http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en?OK#focus

or and just type in your destinations

http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en?OK

Or the German train website

http://www.bahn.com/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml

Now then... is there a lekker train that goes from Fankfurt to Roth?

Also post race.... Is there a train that will take us straight to the Alpe du Huez in time to see the peleton blow past???

Paris.... Belgium... Switzerland... Austria? It is summer time so what does that mean?? I would

See the links for trains posted above

Summer in Europe means it could be as warm and humid as Durban one day and the next day as cold as Bethlehem or that little karoo dorp where Ouma biscuits comes from, or anywhere in between.

See the links for trains posted above

Summer in Europe means it could be as warm and humid as Durban one day and the next day as cold as Bethlehem or that little karoo dorp where Ouma biscuits comes from, or anywhere in between.

Random trivia: Ouma rusks are from Molteno which is in the Eastern Cape if memory serves me. Though that's just the story on the box. They're probably mass produced in a factory in Boksburg.

Random trivia: Ouma rusks are from Molteno which is in the Eastern Cape if memory serves me. Though that's just the story on the box. They're probably mass produced in a factory in Boksburg.

That's the place

Met someone from there and they swore that they are still made there.

Not Boksburg, they just make teeth paste there

Maybe we can get some hubsa vests made for Roth.

Good idea

I've got a Hubsa cycling shirt somewhere in my cupboard :P

Maybe we can do a Alpe d Huez Team race? You can swim and run. I will bike :ph34r:

You do know that the water is 3 degrees and the run is a "trial" run in the mountains? Mwuhahahaha!!!

Haha. The big attraction is that I want to be able to say I raced up Alpe d'Huez clean.

Something not many TDFers have done.

The water is 15 deg. Wetsuit compulsory. (per the website). 2.2km swim, 115km bike, 22km run (dirt roads, not really trail run).

Haha. The big attraction is that I want to be able to say I raced up Alpe d'Huez clean.

Something not many TDFers have done.

The water is 15 deg. Wetsuit compulsory. (per the website). 2.2km swim, 115km bike, 22km run (dirt roads, not really trail run).

I agree. But why don't we just rent a camper van after Roth, head down there and ride the hill by ourselves? Surely that whole route will be closed days before the tour steams past???

One of the advantages of ADH is that you ride a road bike which you can hire for not very much for the week. The bikes they rent are better spec than my current road bike.

I agree. But why don't we just rent a camper van after Roth, head down there and ride the hill by ourselves?

Share a van with a big furry cat? If you try and cuddle....

Share a van with a big furry cat? If you try and cuddle....

Trust me DaveM, I wont purr for you. As a matter of fact... you just try and make it past the Roth swim will you???

Oh and DaveM. Get an avatar please. I need to see who I am talking to

Edited by Garfield2010