carbon vs alloy mtb bars

shadow1

Well Got a new(2nd hand) specialized epic expert carbon 29er yesterday :) too stoked but still need to send it to SPEZ for shock service before I can use it.

It came with a very short aftermarket handlebar. I want to change to something wider.

Do I go carbon or are the alloys pretty much on the same level nowadays?

Secondly how would I tell what size stem to purchase? Or should I try the current(also aftermarket brand) one first?

keen to go bar shopping tomorrow :)

Haha, nice. When it comes to handlebars carbon is the way to go for weight saving. If you can drop R1000 on a bar, you can get a 125g easton ea70 bar, awesome handlebar.

Stem I think is bikefit dependent. Rather go for a bike fit before you change the length. The norm is 100mm, but 80mm-100mm is not uncommon for xc use.

Wishing you many happy miles, now go out and ride that bad boy!

I bought a Crank Brothers Cobalt 2 bar, 700mm wide off the classifieds for around R300. Only 30g or so heavier than a carbon bar.

I prefer the wider bars and I don't think, for me, that it is worth the extra money for such a miniscule weight saving.

My bike fit had me on a 90mm stem but will be changing it to a 80mm for quicker steering with the wider bars.

WheelerDealer are those bars available locally?

So keen to ride it but got to wait to send it next week for the shock service. The shox are not happy campers at the moment.

Edited by shadow1

A carbon bar is definitely the way to go and not only for weight saving, due to the slight flex of carbon it absorbs a lot of the shocks and bumps.

The S-Works Prowess Carbon XC Flat bar is awesome, you'll never look back!

WheelerDealer are those bars available locally?

So keen to ride it but got to wait to send it next week for the shock service. The shox are not happy campers at the moment.

Yup. If they don't have stock they can order them pretty fast, Made a mistake, it's the ec70 bars.

http://www.bike24.com/i/p/0/2/42620_00_d.jpg

Carbon:

Weighs less (if you get a quality one. Cheapies often weigh more than good alu)

Probably stiffer in most cases. Few riders will notice the difference.

It will take a bigger hit without permanent damage than alu.

If you hit it hard enough to break, it will shatter. You wont be able to finish your ride or stage race.

More expensive

Alu:

Weighs more, 30 to 80 grams. In the bigger picture that is not much.

Will bend or dent more easily, but

You can at least finish your ride with a dented or slightly bent bar.

Much cheaper.

I wont take any damping effects into consideration hen choosing a bar, the front tyre and fork will have much much more influence on this than the bar. I suspect choise of bar material makes no difference at all on damping. If the bar flexes, steering would feel very crap - more so with a wider bar.

Edited by Christie

I might have an Easton EC70 flat wide bar available soon...

PM me for details

Christie you make some really valid points there. I have noticed on most local websites that the weight of the bars are never displayed, makes it a bit of a mission. I am not too much of a weight weenie but if the prices are close I would go for the lighter options. In my mind the carbon bar should alleviate a bit of shudder which helps for long rides.

So after some research my bike has a kcnc sc bone handlebar 600mm. Is that not going to be too narrow for xc? My previous bike had a 670mm.

What I have found is that these kcnc sc bone handlebars are super light. Not sure if I could find a carbon 670mm bar that would compare?

Edited by shadow1

Personally wont go carbon on the bars specially on a mtb. The saving in weight is so minuscule that it does not justify the price you pay. As for flexing more than alu to take up some vibration uhm riiiiiight :whistling:

If you have cash to splash and want to go bling go carbon. Otherwise alu.

Enjoy the new bike :thumbup: Just love the Specialized Epic

As for flexing more than alu to take up some vibration uhm riiiiiight :whistling:

I use the sworks flat bar, there is definately some flex on the bar not much but some. And it does feel different to an alu one, cant say it about any carbon bar I'm talking about the sworks flat bar 700 or 740 mm not sure about the length now.

If it was not strong enough the best mountain bikers in the world wont use it. That is now for x country and marathon riding.

I use the sworks flat bar, there is definately some flex on the bar not much but some. And it does feel different to an alu one, cant say it about any carbon bar I'm talking about the sworks flat bar 700 or 740 mm not sure about the length now.

If it was not strong enough the best mountain bikers in the world wont use it. That is now for x country and marathon riding.

Never said its not strong enough, and the best mountain bikers in the world use it coz they get paid to do so. If you feel a difference good for you coz i sure cant. Anyway different strokes for different folks i say.

Ill stick to my alu bars thanks :thumbup: