Stellenbosch Stolen Bikes

dcfender

If you're bike is not found within a couple hours its gone.we got one back and it was stripped within 2hours.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So WHO buys these bikes from the smokkel huise?

Surely you will still see these new bikes on the roads and wonder how the "owner" could afford the bike??

Just don't come ask such questoions here onthe 'ub...you get flamed for being racist, inconsiderate etc etc. (do a search on stolen bikes fred...). Some people apparently also "give " fancy bikes to their gardeners - it's not for us to wonder / ask why?? (Being quite synical here...)

Edited by Cassie

1. Rasta Burn: 35 primrose st

2. Christopher Jones: 30 Pine st

3. Kevin Adams: 16 Vredelust st

4. Koos Stevens: 24 Jakaranda st

5. Kef: 8 Jakaranda St

6. Teswill Williams : 18 North End

7. Santo/White : Kayamandi opposite cultural center at botten near sirkel

8. Johnathan: Taxistands near Aandklas/ caltex
  9. Francois: Kreefgat, Idasvalley, Weber St

so hopefully you can get to the above places with the police within a couple of hours and you might just get lucky?

So WHO buys these bikes from the smokkel huise?

Surely you will still see these new bikes on the roads and wonder how the "owner" could afford the bike??

Just don't come ask such questoions here onthe 'ub...you get flamed for being racist, inconsiderate etc etc. (do a search on stolen bikes fred...). Some people apparently also "give " fancy bikes to their gardeners - it's not for us to wonder / ask why?? (Being quite synical here...)

hopefully i'll get some info soon? not as easy as just driving past and writing down adress...

Two electric bikes stolen out of garage in Die Boord. please be on the look out.

Do people not chain their bikes to an immovable object?

Even in a garage because a garage door is pretty useless security

If I walk away from my bike no matter where either someone trustworthy I know is watching it or it's chained up, anywhere and everywhere....

And insurance, most household insurance covers bikes stolen from your home these days

• 2 weeks later...

Do people not chain their bikes to an immovable object?

Even in a garage because a garage door is pretty useless security

If I walk away from my bike no matter where either someone trustworthy I know is watching it or it's chained up, anywhere and everywhere....

And insurance, most household insurance covers bikes stolen from your home these days

Chaining it doesn't help. These guys know their stuff and even if you did a very good job they sometimes proceed to beat your carbon frame with a brick out of spite.

In my 1st year at Varsity my MTB was stolen the Saturday and my road bike the Tuesday, both chained with quality chains and locked in a solid lock up garage. Try to explain to insurance why 2 bikes go missing so soon after each other...the result was an instant premium hike.

In my case I believe it was an inside job as the previous December they cleared out the bike shed at Res, stealing around 35 bikes!! :cursing: When the care-taker at res saw that I no longer kept my bike in the bike garage his response was "You mos have insurance?".

I believe the number of stolen bikes reported in Jan of 2010 was over 150 if I remember correctly. That's a lot of bikes being stolen for such a small town.

Edited by Stefmyster

I worked at a local bike shop in stellies for 2 years. One of my clients bought a 2012 spec stumpjumper carbon expert and was bikejacked 2 months later outside welgevonden gate. bike taken. He recovered it after a week after doing a manhunt and some investigative work. Also from cloetesville. (it is a network in there!!). Bike still in one piece. So shows you it is possible. Getting gatvol of this problem in our beautifull dorpie.

Thanks for posting names!