Cheap Road Bike needed - Around R3000'ish

Nicko

Hi Guys

So I'm a mtb'er but I'm looking at buying a road bike to train on (might stick it on a turbo trainer) and will want to use it for the very few road races I may do - Amashova, Tour Durban, Argus etc.

What can I expect to get for preferably around R3000?

What should I look out for? What kind of groupset should I look for in the price range.

I know I'm not going to get a great bike, but I'm just looking for something that isn't too heavy, and is basically reliable.

Any help and advice would be appreciated, I'm probably not going to buy immediately, maybe only after the next paycheck, but just want to start seeing what I should be looking for.

Thanks

Nick

For that price range you're looking at an alu frame with entry level wheels, and probably old tiagra or old 105 groupset.

You'll find some stuff in the classifieds, but set aside some cash for a major service and be prepared to replace one or two parts.

At this price range you're getting the very basics.

Good luck man

Thanks for the replies already guys.

Yeah I know I'm going to get something pretty entry level. I'm happy with alu frame, I have no need for carbon or anything. Wheels also not a major concern as long as they roll better than a mtb tyre ;)

Just with regards to groupset, I've seen most bikes in this price range come with Shimano 105. Is this a decent groupo in terms of reliability, should I stay away from it? Is there any groupsets in my price range that I should look out for?

Sorry I would usually research this all myself, but with my price range I can only afford a bike thats a several years old and it's a bit harder to find info.

What about this bike?

http://www.gumtree.co.za/cp-sports-bicycles-fitness-in-city-centre/road-bike-very-light-492274561?MessageId=MSG.VIEW_AD.REPLY_TO_AD_SENT&mpname=LocClass-R2S&mpuid=%3B492274561%3B72752346%3B3100150%3B9179%3B9204%3B%3B%3B%3B1370871485072&secev=AQAAAT8ozqoAAM0AAAACACIxM2YyZTRlZDI5MC5hMjBiMjcyLjQyZTYyLmZmZjY2NTMzAAAAAB1Xg4EBAAAAKwAAAADKp%2BIA9Eo%2B2KnlQi2JRehVeVvOsArmvT8*

Tks

Nick

are you looking for a new or a second hand? which size?

Definitely second hand with my price range, size large, preferably 58cm

Dude 105 is fine. Anything except sora will be manageable. Eve sora works but the models you'll look at will have double tap shifters from tiagra upwards.

The wheels will make more of a difference than you think... Just what till you upgrade and feel some proper wheels!

But a definite recommendation will be to fork out for some gatorskins... No punctures man!

Just get the bike serviced and wheels true. You'll be fine.

Also, try your lbs. See if they have any stock they want to clear at cost from a couple years ago. I got my scott like that, brand new bike but 1o years old for 4k... That was 3 months ago:)

Dude 105 is fine. Anything except sora will be manageable. Eve sora works but the models you'll look at will have double tap shifters from tiagra upwards.

The wheels will make more of a difference than you think... Just what till you upgrade and feel some proper wheels!

But a definite recommendation will be to fork out for some gatorskins... No punctures man!

Just get the bike serviced and wheels true. You'll be fine.

Also, try your lbs. See if they have any stock they want to clear at cost from a couple years ago. I got my scott like that, brand new bike but 1o years old for 4k... That was 3 months ago:)

Tks for the advice.

I understand the importance of lightweight wheels, but I'm not going to be picky or expect much with my price range. Bare in mind also that I'm not looking to compete on this bike, I'm looking to compete in mtb races in which case I have a good bike.

This bike will just be for training and the odd road race, but in the road races I'm not looking to do very well, just don't wanna have to ride my dual sus for road races.

Will def check out whats around at my lbs's

Thanks for the replies already guys.

Yeah I know I'm going to get something pretty entry level. I'm happy with alu frame, I have no need for carbon or anything. Wheels also not a major concern as long as they roll better than a mtb tyre ;)

Just with regards to groupset, I've seen most bikes in this price range come with Shimano 105. Is this a decent groupo in terms of reliability, should I stay away from it? Is there any groupsets in my price range that I should look out for?

Sorry I would usually research this all myself, but with my price range I can only afford a bike thats a several years old and it's a bit harder to find info.

What about this bike?

http://www.gumtree.co.za/cp-sports-bicycles-fitness-in-city-centre/road-bike-very-light-492274561?MessageId=MSG.VIEW_AD.REPLY_TO_AD_SENT&mpname=LocClass-R2S&mpuid=%3B492274561%3B72752346%3B3100150%3B9179%3B9204%3B%3B%3B%3B1370871485072&secev=AQAAAT8ozqoAAM0AAAACACIxM2YyZTRlZDI5MC5hMjBiMjcyLjQyZTYyLmZmZjY2NTMzAAAAAB1Xg4EBAAAAKwAAAADKp%2BIA9Eo%2B2KnlQi2JRehVeVvOsArmvT8*

Tks

Nick

105 is fine. Rather 105 than Sora.

The Cannondale looks good.

I know Jowetts in PMB have a few second road bikes for sale. Maybe give them a call and see if it's worth the trip up. There was a nice looking Trek but I don't know the price. Welcome to give me a shout if you want me to check one out for you.

105 is fine. Rather 105 than Sora.

The Cannondale looks good.

I know Jowetts in PMB have a few second road bikes for sale. Maybe give them a call and see if it's worth the trip up. There was a nice looking Trek but I don't know the price. Welcome to give me a shout if you want me to check one out for you.

Cheers Ryan, thanks a lot I'll give them a shout, appreciate your offer to help out!!!

Will PM you if I need your help, cheers

Definitely second hand with my price range, size large, preferably 58cm

Have you found something yet Nicko? let me know if not, I might be able to help

What is your height?

Edited by Zorrro

Have you found something yet Nicko? let me know if not, I might be able to help

What is your height?

Found one or two that look potentially good, nothing outstanding that's grabbed my attention.

My height is 6.0ft

I will probably only buy after next paycheck, but if you got something for sale lemme know.

Cheers

Nick

I'd say try get a 105 groupset, in MTB terms you are looking at somewhere around Deore.

Sora is rubbish and Tiagra is average at best.