Tour de France 1926 (BuyCycle)

Ysterman

Coca Cola contained cocaine in the early days... hence the name...... I wonder when it was removed from the recipe.....

Coca Cola contained cocaine in the early days... hence the name...... I wonder when it was removed from the recipe.....

Coca – cocaine

Pemberton called for five ounces of coca leaf per gallon of syrup, a significant dose; in 1891, Candler claimed his formula (altered extensively from Pemberton's original) contained only a tenth of this amount. Coca-Cola once contained an estimated nine milligrams of cocaine per glass. In 1903, it was removed.[53]

After 1904, instead of using fresh leaves, Coca-Cola started using "spent" leaves – the leftovers of the cocaine-extraction process with trace levels of cocaine.[54] Coca-Cola now uses a cocaine-free coca leaf extract prepared at a Stepan Company plant in Maywood, New Jersey.[55]

In the United States, the Stepan Company is the only manufacturing plant authorized by the Federal Government to import and process the coca plant,[56] which it obtains mainly from Peru and, to a lesser extent, Bolivia. Besides producing the coca flavoring agent for Coca-Cola, the Stepan Company extracts cocaine from the coca leaves, which it sells toMallinckrodt, a St. Louis, Missouri, pharmaceutical manufacturer that is the only company in the United States licensed to purify cocaine for medicinal use.[57]

Edited by Tumbleweed

I always thought it was an urban legend.

Like dentists using novacaine

Edited by JGR

This is awesome, GREAT photo :clap: come on Saturday already!!!

Gives you goosebumps just seeing these pic's and thinking of the history of TDF :thumbup:

How can anybody NOT love cycling??? :eek: lus for some COKE now :whistling: he he he...