Shimano Shadow PLUS vs. SRAM Type 2

nolipoli

I have read about problems with the type 2 on floating pivot suspensions somewhere. I think they said it battles to keep up with the rapidly changing wheelbase as the suspension works. I might be wrong but I remember a discussion somewhere.

I haven't had any issues on my Epic.

I have read about problems with the type 2 on floating pivot suspensions somewhere. I think they said it battles to keep up with the rapidly changing wheelbase as the suspension works. I might be wrong but I remember a discussion somewhere.

I haven't had any issues on my Epic.

perhaps, but his 29er and my 26er are both giants with the same maestro suspension. Might be as simple as Mayhem's suggestion wrt chain length.

if you find that link, post up though. I'm interested to read it.

I think the problem is the small chainring upfront... :ph34r:

That's what she said!

:lol: how small?

Edited by Capricorn

perhaps, but his 29er and my 26er are both giants with the same maestro suspension. Might be as simple as Mayhem's suggestion wrt chain length.

if you find that link, post up though. I'm interested to read it.

I agree it's probably chain length because that type 2 can't pull any harder. I almost need a run up to unlock it when it's time to remove the wheel.

Just traveling at the moment so can't look for reference now.

Put gears into the 2 biggest rings, so, 36? rear and 39? front.

Then depress suspension, sit on bike, and be sure that there is about 2links ( or 1 male and 1 female link) overlap on the chain ends. cut at this length of overlap and join the chain with quicklink. This should be the correct tension on the chain.

Sram type 2 is excellent and should never drop your chain.

ROFL. Never, dude. Only a few select LBS's actually do that.

They should do that, yes. Do they? No. They should also fit a quicklink once done. Do they? No.

Again, a generalisation

Sad but true.

Sad but true.

which is why i like Action Cycling. In my dealings with them, they've always gotten that bit right.

Hmmm, I think I see what I did there...Rookie mistake.

I assembled this bike out the box, so no LBS shortcoming.

(Actually only good things. They made a special trip to fetch my bike for me on a Friday afternoon, just to make sure I would have it for a weekend ride.)

I looked at the chain length and it "seemed" alright. What I didn't do was the full 'big ring - big cog - full compression' test.

FWIW, I have no particular leaning toward either brand, but am more familar with Shimano. Maybe this threw my eye out...

Hmmm, I think I see what I did there...Rookie mistake.

I assembled this bike out the box, so no LBS shortcoming.

(Actually only good things. They made a special trip to fetch my bike for me on a Friday afternoon, just to make sure I would have it for a weekend ride.)

I looked at the chain length and it "seemed" alright. What I didn't do was the full 'big ring - big cog - full compression' test.

FWIW, I have no particular leaning toward either brand, but am more familar with Shimano. Maybe this threw my eye out...

:eek:

joh...I dont know if I would have been able to admit to such a mistake on here... :lol:

:P