2x10 Conversion

Rudi Pollard

Less movement on the front derailer which will mean smoother shifting. I never use the granny, and very rarely the big ring. Most of the time I am in middle and going through the 11-36 casette. Think 1x11 will be awesome for my riding style but thats a bit outside the budget at this moment in time.

u can covert to 1x10 for less then 2k - just did mine

been reading over these threads for a while, and been considering the same, but there were some good points in the other thread - you're spending a hell of a lot on only a bit of weight saving.

I'd rather take a few months to toughen up and go from 3 x 10 to 1 x 11, removing the whole front der + shifter. Would do it now, but i need my 24 x 36 for monster climbs still. Guys running on 1 x 9 / 10 / 11 - what are you running? 30 x 11-38 sort of thinng?

running 34 t front and 11 34 back - next casette I might go 1136

been reading over these threads for a while, and been considering the same, but there were some good points in the other thread - you're spending a hell of a lot on only a bit of weight saving.

I'd rather take a few months to toughen up and go from 3 x 10 to 1 x 11, removing the whole front der + shifter. Would do it now, but i need my 24 x 36 for monster climbs still. Guys running on 1 x 9 / 10 / 11 - what are you running? 30 x 11-38 sort of thinng?

I am SERIOUSLY bad at climbing and I am one of the most unfit people around currently and I can ride 95% of things with my 32 x 11-36 (650b).

So I wouldnt even think about the 30 you are talking about. I will be changing my 32 to 34 now as I should be working on my fitness actually. If you are on a 26" you should never consider to go smaller than 34.

I am SERIOUSLY bad at climbing and I am one of the most unfit people around currently and I can ride 95% of things with my 32 x 11-36 (650b).

So I wouldnt even think about the 30 you are talking about. I will be changing my 32 to 34 now as I should be working on my fitness actually. If you are on a 26" you should never consider to go smaller than 34.

I can do most in my middle 32t front at the moment, but its those 18%+ gradients that i think i would a little more power on (which I drop to 24x36 currently)

How does this work the shifter? Do you just have to be careful to not shift up/down three times?

If you adjust the limit screws correctly you cannot shift higher than the middle ring position.

I can do most in my middle 32t front at the moment, but its those 18%+ gradients that i think i would a little more power on (which I drop to 24x36 currently)

Do you feel you lose a bit on top end? Or do you not do much flat riding?

What single speed cranks are you running in front ? Using a tensioner? Crank with bigger teeth ? Maybe some pics of front ring setup....

Less movement on the front derailer which will mean smoother shifting. I never use the granny, and very rarely the big ring. Most of the time I am in middle and going through the 11-36 casette. Think 1x11 will be awesome for my riding style but thats a bit outside the budget at this moment in time.

Not sure I agree with this logic. When you move to 2x10 you'll actually be jumping across a bigger tooth difference which will make the changing worse. The lateral gap will remain the same.

I can't understand this 2x10 flavour of the month. You want to pay money to have less gears and worse shifting? Why?

My advice (if you really want to go 2x10) would be save the money and buy a better 2x10 bike when you upgrade to your next bike.

Not sure I agree with this logic. When you move to 2x10 you'll actually be jumping across a bigger tooth difference which will make the changing worse. The lateral gap will remain the same.

I can't understand this 2x10 flavour of the month. You want to pay money to have less gears and worse shifting? Why?

My advice (if you really want to go 2x10) would be save the money and buy a better 2x10 bike when you upgrade to your next bike.

I agree 100%. I also contemplated the move......... But the Cons outweighed the pros.

u can covert to 1x10 for less then 2k - just did mine

You can do it for a lot less than that.

BUT

If you want a wolftooth chainring and clutch derailleur then that is a different story

So if I go to a 1x9 to keep my same climbing ratios I lose 0.7 worth of gears at the top (I never use granny).

That means I would have to spin about 20-25 RPM faster to not lose any pace but I will drop a couple hundred grams off the bike.

In my opinion that wont be much fun.

Will keep the bike the way it is till 1x11 cassettes done cost an arm and a leg.