BB30 & Shimano XT Hollow Tech II Crank

ACM

Hi hubbers

Hope someone can help me. I'm new to bike builds and the technical detail around it. If a frame supllier states that the frame supports a BB30, what would be a compatible bottom bracket for a Shimano XT Hollow Tech II crank?

Tx!

would need one of these......costly,

http://www.evobikes....et-for-mtb.html

You don't need to go that route. You can just get a BB30 adapter which slides into the frame and converts it to the BSA threaded BB. Friend of mine made me one at the machine shop he works at. Just Google BB30 Adapter.

Looks like this:

http://www.3-athlon.com/productsimgs/thumbs/t_2062.jpg

would need one of these......costly,

http://www.evobikes....et-for-mtb.html

Thanks Rock. Sorry if this sounds stupid (I'm learning here...).... but do you get frames that support BB30 that are threaded and frames that support BB30 that are NON-threaded. OR are all BB30 supported frames made for a press fit type BB?

SRAM have a BB30 to BSA adaptor, I've often used one when the build requires the wrong crank.

Edit: I have them in stock for R400

Edited by carbon29er

SRAM have a BB30 to BSA adaptor, I've often used one when the build requires the wrong crank.

Edit: I have them in stock for R400

Hi Rob,

Your frames require a BB30. If you fit a XT groupset onto the Booth bikes, do you then use this BB30 to BSA adaptor? OR what BB do you fit?

R400 sounds a lot better then the R700 on EVO bikes.

You get two different types of "BB30" frames,

1. Pressfit BB30

(This type of frame uses a plastic cup with 2 BB30 bearings inside and this whole thing presses into the frame) pic below.

post-4555-0-76453800-1373315567_thumb.jpg

For this type of frame you can get a Sram BSA adapter to run a normal threaded Sram gxp BB or a shimano hollowtech BB as shown below,

post-4555-0-13827300-1373315705_thumb.jpg

You also get a Raceface Pressfit 30 to X-type adapter to run raceface or shimano hollowtech cranks

http://www.raceface.com/components/bottom-brackets/bottom-brackets/pfbb30-x-type-adapter/

2. BB30 only (No pressfit before the name)

(This is where the bearings fit straight into the frame) as show below,

post-4555-0-95217800-1373315724_thumb.jpg

For this type of frame you get a different type of adapter called a BB30 to X-type adapter to run raceface or shimano hollowtech cranks

http://www.raceface.com/components/bottom-brackets/bottom-brackets/bb30-x-type-adapter/

Thanks for all the info gents!

So, as I understand it (for Pressfit BB30 type frame):

1. Fit the SRAM BB30 to BSA adaptor inside the frame

2. Fit a normal Shimano XT/SLX/Zee Bottom Bracket Bottom (for 68mm/73mm English thread) into this SRAM adaptor.

3. Fit Shimano XT Hollow Tech II crank into Shimano XT BB

Is this it? Sounds cumbersome :eek:

Question: does this SRAM BB30 to BSA adaptor work for frames that requires BB30 and Pressfit BB30 OR only for pressfit BB30 frames? From what RockyRuan explained, it sounds if it will only work for Pressfit BB30 frames. Correct?

If that's the case the ROTOR BB30to24 Bottom Bracket for MTB (EVObikes) will also not fork for "non pressfit" BB30 frames. Then the only option is the BB30 to X-type converter. Where would one locally source this?

More importantly, how does one know from the frame whether it takes pressift BB30 or normal BB30?

Thanks again!

Thanks for all the info gents!

So, as I understand it (for Pressfit BB30 type frame):

1. Fit the SRAM BB30 to BSA adaptor inside the frame

2. Fit a normal Shimano XT/SLX/Zee Bottom Bracket Bottom (for 68mm/73mm English thread) into this SRAM adaptor.

3. Fit Shimano XT Hollow Tech II crank into Shimano XT BB

Is this it? Sounds cumbersome :eek:

Question: does this SRAM BB30 to BSA adaptor work for frames that requires BB30 and Pressfit BB30 OR only for pressfit BB30 frames? From what RockyRuan explained, it sounds if it will only work for Pressfit BB30 frames. Correct?

If that's the case the ROTOR BB30to24 Bottom Bracket for MTB (EVObikes) will also not fork for "non pressfit" BB30 frames. Then the only option is the BB30 to X-type converter. Where would one locally source this?

More importantly, how does one know from the frame whether it takes pressift BB30 or normal BB30?

Thanks again!

If you are running a XT crank and need to fit to a standard BB30 (Not press Fit BB30) frame you need one of these.

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/first-bb-30-reducer-r-30

I used this for my current build to fit a Shimano XT crank on a frame with BB30.

Guys, 'pressfit 30" and "BB30" are 2 different frame BB's.

If you want to run a Shimano crank in a "Pressfit 30" frame... then you just buy a shimano pressfit BB.... Or if you running SRAM, then you just buy a pressfit GXP BB.

However, if your frame is BB30... then you need to put in a BB30 to BSA adaptor, which you just thread your normal Shiamno threaded BB or Sram GXP BB into...

The difference lies in the width of the BB housing. The BB30 frame has a BBwidth of about 73mm i think. Which is about the same as the BSA frame. so once you fit the adaptor and thread the cups in you end up with an overall of about 92mm.

The "Pressfit 30" BB frames are already about 92mm wide. So here you just press in your "Pressfit 30" BB

Now I understand why there are bike shops... and bike mechanics :whistling:

In my profession you get programmers and VB for dummies - I guess not everyone can be everything :thumbdown:

Thanks for all the replies.