Paarl trails?

NicoBoshoff

Hi all

Me and the wife are moving to Paarl in a month and I am wondering about the existence of trails on Paarl Mountain.

I grew up there so I know the DH scene is quite active and today when we were there I saw a bunch of DH guys going up and down there.

Now I'm no DH junkie, but I enjoy trail riding etc. so I was wondering how gnarly those trails are?

I'm looking forward to some easy to access trail riding, so I hope it's not all death drops and massive jumps?

Cheers

there are some trails there. do yourself a favour and head out to Welvanpas in Wellington. sweet riding there.

there are some trails there. do yourself a favour and head out to Welvanpas in Wellington. sweet riding there.

Oh trust me WVP will be my weekend treat every weekend, but would love some nearby trails for a quick after work fix.

On the Mountain is about 40 +km of dirt road you can ride. Mostly gravel roads. There is also a few single tracks down and I also heard that one of the wine farms is opening about 20km of trails soon. How exclusive is going to be I don't know. But you will be able to get a fix. :)

The Paarlmtb group is also very active and ride almost every morning at 5h00 and Saturdays they do longer rides.Some of the more experienced riders will give you a lot more information on the routes around Paarl.

Edited by Mads

• 3 months later...

Here's a few vids of me cruising the Paarl trails, which are still being expanded and this December will receive a little TLC from me and a few mates:

(Pardon the lame editing, but I'm new to this all)

Guest Omega Man

Saw a thing that new trails are being opened up on the Northern side of the Paarl mountain.

Saw a thing that new trails are being opened up on the Northern side of the Paarl mountain.

Ja that's at Rhebokskloof. Not sure what to expect though. Hopefully similar to Welvanpas. Heard they are putting in some berms etc. so who knows.

Guest Omega Man

Ja that's at Rhebokskloof. Not sure what to expect though. Hopefully similar to Welvanpas. Heard they are putting in some berms etc. so who knows.

Ja that's it. Good time to be a Mountain Biker in the Cape for sure.

Ja that's it. Good time to be a Mountain Biker in the Cape for sure.

Yip! Look, Paarl's trails aren't exactly world class. BUT, we have the relative freedom to cut and build what we like to ride and it is really cool to still have a few km's worth of trails literally a minute's ride away.

Living in the Cape Town CBD I thought I was going to miss Table Mountain, and although I miss the morning rides before work, I certainly don't miss being harassed by SANPARKS and dog walkers whilst trying to ride 100m of single track in Deer Park.

• 2 months later...

Just a little video of me an my brother in law goofing around in Paarl. Good to feel like a kid again and actually very beneficial for the skills ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nico/Johny

Have you managed to cycle the Rheboks trail yet?The Paarl MTB riders pop in there on a regular basis and it adds approximately 17km to the Paarl Reserve trail.

It's really nice trails at Rheboks. Rode it with PaarlMTB a while ago.

What was awesome, was that the builder actually rode with (behind) us to see what happens as we get to the different sections and how we experience it. Made lots of comments regarding branches needing to be cut back, maybe more banking here and there to prevent overshoots, etc.

Would love to see how it has changed over the last month or so since I was there last time. From what I've heard, it will be opening in the not-too-distant future. (Under correction!)