convert disc brakes from 180mm to 203mm

fandacious

Best answer I can give: You're wasting your time:-

You adding mass to your bike (not much, but still there)

The parts cost more

Scaling proportionally, If 100kg guys need Ø203 then a 65kg guy could use Ø160.

For you, even Ø180 could be considered overkill for XC. Ø203 would a like bringing a nuclear bomb to knife fight - just a touch overkill

IMO, the only thing you will improve is your ability to launch over the bars.

I agree, 160 is standard and probably adequate so 180 is already oversize. 203 just adds more weight and is overkill. I run 180 front and 160 rear and I'm 86kgs and do a bit of downhill and find this works fine with XT brakes. One other thing, I recommend using Shimano IceTech rotors, stick with Shimano

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you get 180 to 203 post mount. Whenever I have a technical question like this I always call Jason from Int Trade. They sell the Hope mounts.

FWIW, I enjoy having 203s on the front being over 90kgs and liking the downhills. Reduces the chance of boiling the brake fluid and just gives awesome stopping power with Tech X2 brakes. The 180s never felt as good - had to use much more pressure for the same performance.

I'd take it to an lbs and get them to rifle around in their box of bits. They deff do exist. These are 2 i have in my box of bits. You're addin 10mm to the radius of your disc so I think a 160-180mm adapter is what you are after.

*Disclaimer; I am the worlds worst bike mech.

post-18968-0-13456000-1404022118_thumb.jpg

Thanks Sliick / Omega.

I ran it by Jason this morning - he assures me a normal 180 postmount adaptor should do the trick.

@Omega, I've got one of those too, which I'm going to use - the 180 is going to go on the back. The Hope 180 postmount adaptor looks quite different to this one, and I think the Hope 180 rotor is actually 183. Going to give it a try.

If anyone wants a shimano 203 postmount adaptor (ISMMAF203PPA) for a nominal price let me know.