XX1 - Chain Rubb on 12 & 11

Johan A Marais

I have chain rub on my XX1 when in the 11 and 12 gears on the back cluster. It sounds like it is touching something, but it is not. However when in these gears and I back pedal (Bike Stationary) it gets stuck, or the chain wants to move to another gear as if the derailleur is not 100% aligned.

How do I fix this? My LBS already had a look and seemingly could not solve the problem…

I just battled an XX1 setup. The cables are super sensitive. Check the tension in the cable is perfect and that you can drop into the 10.

If you can drop into the 10 and cover the 42, check that the loops in the cable are not too long. This is a low tension point in the mech, so any poor cable seating will be problematic.

Thanks kennyg. I have no problem getting into or out of any of the gears - works like a charm. Will check into the cable loop...

bent hanger maybe?

but surely this would of been checked by LBS?

I would have to agree with this solution.

Edited by Top Fuel

I pulled the chain line dead centre sprocket on the cassette, to inline with the crankset.

I also ran an sworks crank and spider, to the outer.

your problem is not at the extremes of the cassette, I fail to see how it would be a chain line issue. a bend derailer hanger would then also give you issues in the 10t.

have you checked the derailers height (B) adjustment screw in the back of the unit? is the chain running on the cassette not too close to the jockey wheels, If they touch there it would sound like a shift skip?

Edited by Zilla

normally B tension presents problems higher up the cassette with touching, it may also be too far away and thus not align the pulleys and the cassette sprocket correctly.

I don't think the chainring is his problem... I have a wolftooth GXP ring on an S-Works crank in a Bianchi Methanol with a 10 speed XT cassette and XX derailer... you don't get more mixed up than that and mine is perfect!

The XX1 chain is narrower and if you're running a ramped and pinned chain ring the chain can catch on the ramps and pins under certain frame loads.

The tooth profile on the XX1 ring is lower and the the ring itself is not ramped or pinned

Edited by GoLefty!!