swim sets

mon-goose

Do you count strokes in openwater swims? Had my first pool session yesterday, and I make sure that I always breathe facing the same side of the pool, so relatively 1 length left, next length right. I don't find it that easy to switch per-stroke.

In the beginning you have to force yourself to breathe bilaterally, eventually it becomes second nature.

It took me many months...and still I sometimes revert to left side only sometimes.

Sometimes like at the start of a race or when you get caught up in a wild bunch you will revert to "memory mode" and start breathing on your favorite side only again. The trick is to be able to do it both in the pool / training and during most of the race especially when you are swimming more or less on your own.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also only breathed one side. Forced myself to break the habit in the pool and it helped me tons. Speed increased, comfort in the water and the ability to change to a side if there is too much splashing. I reckon its the first thing you should practice if you want to improve your swimming.

• 4 weeks later...

don't think I've posted this set before. Did it this morning and quite enjoyed it

100 easy freestyle

200 (50m kick breast,back,free)

300 4x75 fast

400 pull

500 2x250 fast

600 (200 back,breast,free)

700 (100easy, 50 fast, 100 easy, 50 fast, 100 easy, 50 fast, 100easy, 50 fast 100 easy

700 easy freestyle or whatever you feel like

or a similar one

200 easy freestyle

700 100easy50fast100easy50fast100easy50fast100easy50fast100easy

600 2x(150fast 150 easy)

500 pull

400 2x(200 fast)

300 (100kick 100breast 100 free)

200 backstroke

100 easy freestyle

500 easy whatever you want