Handle Bar for Enduro Build

G-Unit

Hi all,

I just bought myself a Santa Cruz Nomad frame and fork and am looking to build it for Enduro / free rding. The thing is, to get it up an running, I just slapped on my cross country bike's 700mm flat bar, and the bike's handling is not great

I would appreciate some input regarding a nice enduro bar to use?

I was looking at Spank's Subrosa (747mm with a 15mm rise) or a Spank Stiffy (762mm with a 20mm rise). Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

G.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

Renthal Fat Bar cut down to 760. That is all.

You copied me!!!!

Running a Renthal on my AM bike 760mm and a Deity Black label 760mm on me DH. I had a renthal on there but it wasn't black enough.

Edited by Omega Man

Although I must say that the 760mm Spank Spoon bars also seem decent.

But watch WC DH and Enduro World Series, Renthals seem to be the bars of choice.

I run 780 x 20mm rise on my DH bike, and 760 x 10mm rise on my AM bike.

Renthal Fat Bar cut down to 760. That is all.

I also like this.

Run the 10mm ride on my Mbuzi. Not cut though. Cutting them would have saved my ribs... twice...

Best bars in the business.

Patience, OM - I was reading the tutorial on how to upload it. :-)

It's a bit of a circus bike at the moment, 1 black rim, 1 white one, a gold front hub, a black rear hub, a cross country bar... Definitely a work in progress - hence the request for advice.

post-30655-0-98773600-1376309879_thumb.jpg

But watch WC DH and Enduro World Series, Renthals seem to be the bars of choice.

If I received them free, they'd also be my "bar of choice" :). I don't think we can read too much into the fact that lots of pros use them, except that they can't be bad.

Guest Omega Man

It's a bit of a circus bike at the moment, 1 black rim, 1 white one, a gold front hub, a black rear hub, a cross country bar... Definitely a work in progress - hence the request for advice.

WOW! Looks amazing. You are allowed to have 1 black rim 1 white rim.

The rules around this are as such.

1. You aren't allowed to have mixed tire brands on the same bike

2. You aren't allowed to have mixed brake brands on the same bike.

3. Having brake rotors from a different company to your brakes is frowned upon but not illegal

You mentioned the handliing wasn't great with the 700mm bars.

I'd suggest a shorter stem to go with your wider bars. 50 - 60mm. That should also improve the handling a lot.

If I received them free, they'd also be my "bar of choice" :). I don't think we can read too much into the fact that lots of pros use them, except that they can't be bad.

What?! darn it! Did I waste my money trying so hard to be like Sam Hill? :(

Thanks for all the feedback. Seems like Renthal is the bar o' choice. No takers for the Spank bars - I'm quite fond of the Stiffy Royala. Gold bling.

post-30655-0-60724900-1376310656_thumb.jpg

You mentioned the handliing wasn't great with the 700mm bars.

I'd suggest a shorter stem to go with your wider bars. 50 - 60mm. That should also improve the handling a lot.

What?! darn it! Did I waste my money trying so hard to be like Sam Hill? :(

The problem is that I bought a size smaller on the frame - For XC I have a large SC Tallboy and the Nomad is a medium. I'm struggling with the cockpit feeling very tight - hence the long stem. I figured wider bar with a bit of a rise would open things up a bit.

Plus, the I bought the bike with a 2.35 Nobby Nick on the front, which is basically like trying to turn a tractor tyre. I'm thinking to go down to 2.25

Plus, the I bought the bike with a 2.35 Nobby Nick on the front, which is basically like trying to turn a tractor tyre.

Shorter stem and wider bars will help with that :)